Chapter 29 - Boris: Only a Silhouette Walked In

Chapter 29 - Boris: "Only a Silhouette Walked In"

When Boris woke up the next day, the light from outside was spilling through the fancy curtains and blinds on his window. He felt a presence behind him and he turned his head quickly, seeing Tyler there. The German shepherd was sliding his thumb against his phone with uninterest.

"Morning . . ." Boris tried.

"Hey," Tyler said, not looking up from the screen. "How did you sleep?"

"I had a nightmare. As usual." the otter sighed. "I'm not asking for dreams but I'd rather have nothing."

"Sorry to hear that," Tyler answered. "I slept pretty well. This bed's comfy as hell."

"I bet you don't want to even know how much it costs," Boris poked, playfully. "Hold on . . . you wear glasses?"

"You're right, I don't," Tyler said, curtly. "And, yep. Guess I've never worn them around you guys." He thought back to his talk with Leah the day before. "So what's the plan? Keep moving along now that we're refreshed?"

The otter shook his head. "Well, my sister's a witch, so that was quite the news. She already knew Absalom was possessing me."

"Holy shit, really?" Tyler faked wide eyes and surprise. "Witches exist?"

"Apparently," Boris told him, rubbing his face exhaustedly. "She's gonna try and work on a way to help me. Everything will be fine if we stay here for a few days."

"Days?" Tyler asked. "How long?"

"However long it takes," the otter reported. "It will be worth it." I could be free.

The canine scratched under his chin and then pushed up his spectacles. "I guess . . . you sure your parents will be chill with that?"

"They didn't even notice I was gone . . ." Boris muttered. "I doubt they'll even meet you."

"They didn't notice? What do you mean?"

"It's fine." Boris waved him off. "They're extremely busy. I get it."

"So what? What if you hadn't come back? Would they have ever noticed?"

Boris looked down, picking at the sheets with his claws. ". . . Eventually. And even then, they'd probably just assume I'm dead and move on with their busy lives."

"The fuck?" Tyler frowned. "That's shitty."

The other animal shrugged. "Are you hungry? We should go down to the kitchen and request one of the butlers to make us a good meal."

Tyler put a hand on his stomach and as if in response to his touch, it growled loudly. "We haven't eaten since those muffins yesterday . . ."

"Let's get down there."

=^.^=

Sitting at their large and ornate dining table with its multiple centerpieces, candles, and cloth that ran along the full length at it, Boris looked around the home he was so accustomed to. He realized how lucky he was to have something like this now that he had been out in the world and experienced true pain.

His father had never been there for him due to his busy lifestyle, but he still had a significant roof over his head, and everything was handed to him. He never had to grab things for himself or rely on himself. This whole Absalom business had been an authentic learning experience. A twisted one, but a learning experience nonetheless.

Boris glanced at Tyler, who continued to mess around with his cellular device. "Tyler."

"I just wish I could get ahold of him. Even for five minutes," the dog fussed.