Chapter 63 - Nick and Richard: For the Last Time

Chapter 63 - Nick and Richard: "For the Last Time"

Walking along the side of the road, Nick and Richard made their way to a location that Nick had told Richard was a favorite spot of Astrid's. The road was empty and it didn't seem like anyone had ever existed in the world at that moment. It was almost eerie. The sky was a burning orange as the sun set somewhere.

The pair were dressed in leisurely clothing to blend into the Mortal Realm better. Nick was wearing blue jeans and a black tee-shirt, while Richard was wearing black slacks and a light green button-up. They would be safe as long as they avoided where Nick's Double might be. The hyena was taking them to a special place, where they would set the objects in their hands free. Nick held him closely as they walked along in silence.

Richard was looking forward, attempting to keep his emotions in check. A lot of things had happened recently, and he was still processing them. On both missions, the two creature hunters behaved like amateurs. On the first, Nick and Richard left too soon, even though Richard was certain Jack would be doomed anyway, considering the mask was in his room. On the second, Richard had split up from his partner and he completely blamed himself.

He tried to tell himself that he couldn't have known that the projector would turn on, but as the older animal and more experienced creature hunter, he should have known that they should have never separated or looked in the direction of the screen, even if it turned on. He also reminded himself that he hadn't been on a mission in years and that he was very rusty.

They couldn't make mistakes every time, though. Richard had a very clear idea that every mission they went on was a tightrope act, where either of them could fall at any moment. His head turned, and he looked at Nick, at the object in his hand. Seeing his boyfriend holding such a meaningful and sad object made his heart heavy. An animal like Nick should never have to go through what he did.

It was made all the more complicated that it was the machinations of a demon that led Boris to do what he had done. Yet, Nick was still determined to save him, despite his actions. Richard just couldn't understand what was going through his mind at any given time. He found himself wondering how truly sad the hyena was. Relationships were truly a one-way mirror.

The raccoon had a reflection of Nick's own object in his hands, representing something different but just as sad. Richard had never set out to get one for himself, but Nick convinced him to partake in the ritual, and now they were drifting along the side of the road like two lost souls with seemingly no destination. Any animal in a car passing by would surely be wondering what the duo was up to that evening.

"It's to the left here," Nick said, and they veered in that direction, now heading toward the trees.

"Where are we going?" Richard asked, staying by his side.

"It's just a place Astrid showed me. Somewhere we used to talk when things got crazy," Nick explained, keeping his eyes forward. "It's really pretty. I think you'll like it. Do you like nature? I never asked."

"I do," Richard told him. "But not bugs. Um, I guess it's a good thing we live in Prostasia, then."

"I wonder where all those fake trees come from," the hyena commented. "Or if they're real and, if so, how do they grow? That place has a long grocery list of mysteries. It's kind of ridiculous."

Richard snorted a chuckle. "Sure, but you could always visit Scribe Sect and research it."

"Yeah, I guess so. I'm sure I could spend a really long time there learning about all different kinds of stuff. It might help me understand why they operate the way they do." He sighed. "But probably not."