Chapter 56 - Nick and Richard: Start of the Show

Chapter 56 - Nick and Richard: "Start of the Show"

Nick's eyes flicked open, seeing the brown eyes of Richard looking back into his green ones. He sighed, softly, letting a smile grace his muzzle. The hyena was wearing a white shirt from Trauma Sect and his underwear, while Richard was only in his boxers. "I really need to start wearing the blindfold to sleep," he yawned. "Morning," Nick mumbled, his cheek against the soft pillow in the bed. "How'd you sleep?"

"Well, for once." Richard gave him a small grin. "You seem less tense today. I suppose going to Trauma really helped?"

"It did," Nick nodded. "Spewing out all of the feelings that I had to Dante was incredibly relieving. I cried for, like, ten minutes straight, too. It doesn't make the case we're on any easier but it definitely was healthy for me to go. I'm sorry I didn't the first time."

Richard exhaled. "Well, you had never seen death like that before, so it's understandable. I don't blame you for wanting to be alone. That's all I wanted when I returned from the alternate timeline."

"I'm so glad I was able to come here after and just lay with you and talk for hours about whatever. You're a good listener," Nick sniffed. "Sorry I went on about Astrid so much. Guess I'm still kinda into her . . . Plus, I don't want to forget, you know. Like with Jack."

"Don't worry about it," the raccoon answered. "It was nice to listen, only because what you had to say was incredibly interesting."

Nick blushed, scooting all the way forward and putting his arms around the animal, pressing their chests together. "When did you take your clothes off?"

"Shortly after you fell asleep," Richard explained. "Despite them being TempRes, I don't want my garments rubbing against my fur all night."

"And you're okay with being with me like this? I don't want to push anything or make you feel like I'm pushing anything . . ."

"Thank you for your concern, but I'm alright. I trust you and know you wouldn't do anything to hurt me."

"Never," Nick stated, running a claw up his chest, sighing. "Is it stupid that I'm totally in love with you and we haven't really gone on any missions together?"

Richard froze, feeling his cheeks heat up immensely. "I . . . don't think it's stupid, no. We've known each other for a long time, in mortal terms. I find myself quite taken with you as well, Nicholas. You're a very special and caring animal and something about you just pulls me in. I feel as though I only want to lay here all day and listen to you talk."

Nick laid back and covered his face with his arm. "I just don't want to make you feel pressured or anything. I don't wanna rush things. I can't help how I feel, though. I just wanna be with you and take care of you and save you."

"Nick, look at me," Richard told him, moving a hand to the hyena's cheek and turning his head. "While it will take me a very long time to be able to do anything, I don't want to keep my heart closed forever because of what happened. As hard as it's been, you've been there for me since we met and I . . . well . . . I love you, too. But I also need time before I commit to anything. You understand, right?"

Nick couldn't help the smile that formed. "I completely get it. Take as long as you need. It's enough knowing that you love me back. I wasn't afraid you didn't or anything. I was just scared you felt like you couldn't . . ."

"I am scared," Richard admitted. "Terrified, even. But I know what I'm feeling, too. I want to be with you and go on missions with you and save you if things get tense, too. After seeing how much this job affects you, I want to be the one you can lean on when you feel like you can't stand it. I want to catch you. We can be there for each other and make it through this, as hard as it will be. I just don't want to commit to anything yet."