Chapter 4 - Explosion in the Darkness

Chapter 4 - Boris and Tyler: "Explosion in the Darkness"

"Of course you would drag someone into this with you," Tyler spat, crossing his arms as he and Boris stood in the middle of the otter's room. The chair Tyler had previously been in sat empty with the rope lumped on top. "I mean, you were already stuck-up before, but this just pushes it over the edge."

"I know," Boris' ears flattened. "I've taken you guys for granted in the past, but I wanted to get better. It seems that hope is doomed now, due to these circumstances."

"Yeah, and I don't want to be traumatized by watching you kill a bunch of animals, Boris!"

"I never said that you have to watch!"  Boris argued.

"I'll still know you're killing them! Can't Absalom just erase my memories or something?" Tyler suggested, clawing to any shred of a chance he would get out of this.

"Normally, he would, but now that you know about him, the knowledge is burned into your mind. It's like everyone who knows about him is connected by an invisible thread. So far, nothing has come of it, but we never know."

A loud groan escaped Tyler. "Of fucking course. So I just can't go home, then? What about the band? We're just gonna fuck off and forget about all that hard work?"

Now it was Boris's turn to groan. "Tyler. I do not want to do this. I have to. More animals will die if I don't. My . . . family will die if I don't. I can't do that. Not before I . . ."

"More animals will die than what?!"

"I need to kill twenty . . ." the otter mumbled. "Twenty animals."

"TWENTY?! WHY SO MUCH?"

"I wish I knew . . . ."

"Of course, you don't know anything," Tyler sighed. "Of course."

"I'm sorry . . . ." Boris looked down.

Another loud groan left the shepherd's lips. "What else do I need to know?"

"Um, well, you'll most likely be able to see my reflection now."

"What?"

"I might as well just show you rather than tell you. Come with me," Boris gestured. Tyler just stood there. "Uh . . . Come along?" Boris blinked, beckoning with his hand.

"How can I trust you? How do I know you won't kill me?" Tyler asked, standing his ground firmly.

"I won't!"

"You're still holding a knife, you know!" The dog pointed to Boris's hand.

Boris looked at the ancient dagger. "I can put it back in the mirror!"

"Huh?"

"Yes. Watch." He took out the makeup case once more and slowly inserted the knife back into the round reflective surface. He had clearly done it before. "See?"

". . . Just hurry up and show me your reflection or whatever," Tyler muttered.

Boris escorted him to the bathroom and switched on the light. Immediately, Tyler's eyes shifted to the mirror above the grand sink, where his mouth fell agape. "I . . ."

Boris sighed, looking at the sight he had gotten used to by now. "I know."

Tyler's mind raced, trying to understand what he was seeing. In the mirror, Boris wasn't wearing his everyday clothing, which also happened to be a suit whether he was performing at a concert or not. He wore a black tee-shirt with some strange design and black fingerless gloves, which the otter beside him did not have. The Boris in the mirror also had black eyeliner around his eyes, which is something Tyler never thought he would see. But the most significant thing of note was that dark blood covered the pseudo. It caked his ears, covered his face, and seeped into his clothes. It wasn't static either, drops of scarlet dripping off of his figure in a strangely animated showcase of impossible proportion. "Are you going to explain?" Tyler gawked.