Chapter 52 - Nick and Richard: Spark Into A Flame

Chapter 52 - Nick and Richard: "Spark Into a Flame"

"So this case . . . ." Adrian said as everyone stepped into the hall. "It's really scary."

"Agreed," Nick nodded, sighing. "And I'm still trying to get over the last one."

"Yeah . . ." Adrian turned to the gray wolf beside him. His shoulders were broad, and he wore a judgmental look on his face. "So, this is my partner Dmitri. He's a wolf magician, as you can see."

Nick waved. "Nice to meet you."

Dmitri nodded. "Same. Adrian's told me more about you than I should know. I feel like I already know you."

"Well, ain't that something," Nick blinked, glancing at the rodent. "You didn't tell him anything like . . . that, right?"

Adrian smiled playfully. "In detail."

"ADRIAN!" Nick's eyes widened. The mouse winked, tail flicking.

"No, don't do that." Nick crossed his arms.

Richard shook his head. "I'm not following what you're talking about."

The hyena put his hands on Richard's chest. "Please ignore it."

"By the way, what happened to you when I was there yesterday? You totally conked out."

"Well, apparently, you already know I'm Patience." Nick sighed. Iwai had told them they could speak to anyone on the King case about their situation and who they were.

Adrian pursed his lips. "Yeah, we do. It's big news."

"I guess it's good everyone knew but me," Nick huffed. He pulled his coat aside, showing Tålmodighed's tiny sheath. "This sword appeared to me in a dream. When I woke up, it was real."

"That looks like a knife," Adrian pointed out.

"When I put it in the sheath, it shrunk down to that size. I also can't get it out."

"What? Lemme try." Adrian held his hand out.

"It won't work," Richard stated. "The weapon appeared to him now that he knows he is Patience. Only we can activate our weapons, but I gave up on mine."

Nick turned to look at him. "You said it was sitting in a closet?"

"It is, but I did try to activate it a few times. I couldn't figure out any of the times, so I just stored it."

"You didn't say that before," Nick muttered.

"Did you guys find anything in the room?" Dmitri asked, interrupting the conversation. "We shouldn't waste time standing in this hallway."

Nick gazed at the door. "We didn't. No diary or phone or anything."

"We didn't find a phone, either," said Adrian.

"Wait, you're not creature hunters." Nick's brows furrowed. "How are you investigating this?"

"No, but we are on the King case due to our level of power and prowess," Adrian explained. "You'd be surprised how good I am at combat."

"Attack magic is no joke," Richard nodded.

"The downside is a magic fight completely wears you out." Adrian waved them along, and they all began walking down the hall. "But I've always beaten Dmitri."

"Hmph. You get lucky," Dmitri mumbled.

"We also end up getting distracted a lot of the time," Adrian smiled.

"Please, no more." Nick stuck his tongue out. "If you didn't find anything in your victim's room, what do we do?"

"We'll have to do some more digging," Dmitri answered. "I think that Adrian and I should talk to the officers outside while you talk to school staff and arrange to talk with your victim's friends. You should talk to her family, too, to see if they noticed any weird behavior. Chances are, the Mortal Guard hasn't altered her memories yet, so you should do it quickly,"