Chapter 55 - Adam: To Live Again

Chapter 55 - Adam: "To Live Again"

After diving into the dark water of the lake, Adam's head began feeling uneasy. He felt his mind float away into a deep blackness until he was standing within a large expansive void. The otter looked around, blinking. "What the--Tyler? Neil? Hello! Where the hell am I?"

A white light flashed behind him, and Adam turned around, covering his face due to the sheer brightness. "Agh! Hey! Turn that shit off!"

"Behind you," a voice said, and Adam turned, seeing his shadow cast on a wall that the light created. "Hello, Adam."

Adam furrowed his brows, seeing that the shadow's mouth moved on its own. "Wh-who are you?"

"I'm someone you've been wanting to meet for a long time. My name is Absalom," the dark figure revealed.

Adam scratched his head. "Absalom? I know that name . . ."

"Do you remember anything? Who you were? Who I am?"

"No," Adam frowned. "I don't . . ."

"It doesn't matter," Absalom stated. "I'm going to cut right to the chase. You're in the body of my puppet, Boris, which means you also belong to me."

Adam crossed his arms. "Bogus. I don't belong to anyone!"

The shadow laughed. "Then, I suppose it's time to offer you a choice. What was your goat's name? Neil?"

Adam's ears perked. "Wh-what do you know about Neil?" Without an answer, the light changed, expanding into a large rectangle on the wall. An image flickered and painted itself across the entire space of the shape, showing a goat being taken in by a few police officers, Adam nowhere to be found. The otter swallowed. "No . . . Neil . . . ."

"They found out what you two did," Absalom stated. "And where were you?"

The image changed to the view of a stone altar that held a book on top of it. Adam walked up to it, slowly, seemingly nervous about something. He slowly turned the page as his eyes darted back and forth between the words. "You were here, trying to summon me because you knew I could give you the power to change things. To absolve you of your crimes and to create a better life for you and your lover." The vision of Adam held up a blade, continuing to utter words as he looked down at the tome. There was a clear fear in his eyes. "You found this group that made you believe summoning me was the right course of action. Guilt and love blinded you."

Adam stepped back. "What is this?"

The image of him in the light brought the shining blade up to his neck, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. Slowly, he dragged the knife across the flesh, crimson liquid pouring from the open wound down his chest, soaking into his dark shirt. The vision began sputtering, shaking, and dropping the weapon. He looked around wildly and, a few moments later, collapsed over the altar, blood dripping off of the edges, running down his arm, and dripping off of his claws onto the floor. The image lingered on the dead body for far too long, and Absalom spoke again.

"The ritual was a failure. You didn't complete it properly and fell right where you stood. If it had worked properly, I would have been able to heal your throat. Instead, you died."

Adam's eyes widened, and he shook his head. "No . . . no . . . ."

"Because it was a spell that had to do with your Soul leaving your body for a short while, it had nowhere to go once you ended your life and you lost most of your memories of your previous life. But the contract was signed. The vessel that you occupied would be mine."

"You were lost for a long time, until one day, your Soul found its way into a baby otter that was just born. Because your Soul had lived longer, it was stronger and ended up replacing that of the child. Yet, you still had no memories, and thus, your soul was shaped into a new animal."