Chapter 53 - Blood in the 21st Century

Chapter 53 - Tyler: "Blood in the 21st Century"

"Crazy that we have to take a basement to get out of here," Adam commented as he and Tyler descended in the elevator to Downing Manor's first floor.

"I guess we don't have to now," the German shepherd said, Boris's car keys jingling in his hand. "All the caretakers are . . . ."

"Are what?"

"I dunno if you heard earlier, but we were attacked not even a few hours ago by a group of vampires called the Black Cross. All of the butlers were killed."

"That's gnarly . . . ." Adam looked astounded.

"I got some rest, so I'm okay, but I bet I'm gonna pass out when we get back." Tyler thought back to when he was holding Boris close. In that state, you would never be able to tell the otter had killed anyone.

Adam nodded. "Go for it, dude. Like damn. That really all just happened? I'm sorry to hear."

Tyler's lips curled into a sad smile. "Boris's whole family was there, too. Heh, he was so pissed his father started to worry about them after being neglectful for so long. It was another side of him I hadn't seen."

Adam looked down. "Shit. Sounds like the guy has had a rough life." They turned down the hall, walking into the foyer where the circle of chairs had still been set up. "What's all this?"

"After it happened, we left the dining room and kinda processed it out here," Tyler explained. "Boris's dad and Boris's sister chose to have their memories erased of the whole thing."

"I woulda too," Adam said, looking up at the chandelier above them. "This whole house is crazy. How did vampires even break in?"

"How do you even know about the supernatural?" Tyler countered. "Or the Mortal Guard, for that matter?"

"Like I told you before, buddy, I don't know how I know. But you guys talked about it, and I just knew," Adam told him as they walked to the large doors at the entrance of the manor.

Tyler placed his hands on the lock. "Once we go out, just remain as calm as possible, okay?"

"Not gonna be easy, but I'll try," Adam nodded. "Things are different now, I bet."

"Yeah, very much so." Tyler unlocked the doors and pulled them open. He and Adam walked outside, under the dark sky with its flecks of blinking stars. "Man, I haven't left that place since we got there," Tyler realized.

"This is a fly courtyard!" Adam gasped, looking at all the straight hedges, perfectly cut bushes, and crystal water of the fountain. "And all of the animals who take care of it are . . ."

"Yeah," answered Tyler, walking past him. "Looks like the gate is still open. The car should be just ahead."

"Can't wait to see how much cars have changed!" Adam exclaimed. "I bet they're nothing like they used to be." He and the German shepherd strolled out of the giant golden gate and found the dark blue car just to the right, parked haphazardly. "Holy shit. Look at that ride! Oh, wow, the lights are so different. I'm really gonna be riding in that?!"

"Just as much as I'm gonna be driving it," Tyler told him. "It's so weird hearing your words coming out of Boris's mouth. You have the same voice but talk so differently." He unlocked the car and pulled open the driver's side. Adam was staring down into the passenger's seat. "What?" Tyler blinked.

Adam reached down, pulling out the gun. "He just leaves things like this sitting in the open?"

"Not usually," Tyler said, slipping inside and turning the car on. "Just . . . put it in the glove box." He didn't even want to know what the otter had used it for.