Chapter 42 - Nick and Richard: The Time I Fell Off

Chapter 42 - Nick and Richard: "The Time I Fell Off"

Nick looked down at his verdant green tie as he walked alongside Richard, sighing. They were almost to the raccoon's apartment, having traveled there after the hyena's graduation. "Sorry, Dick, for being rude to your friend. I've just been feeling wrong lately. I'm not usually like this! But, yeah. You know."

The taller animal shook his head. "Don't worry about it at all. I understand that you're in a rough place right now. I've been in plenty, myself."

"Thanks . . . "

"And hopefully, my gift will cheer you up. I think you'll love it," Richard grinned slightly.

"I am very excited to see what it is," Nick said, leaning his head on Richard's arm as casually as he could. His heart beat a little faster at the motion, and he found himself wondering what Richard was thinking.

Inside his head, the raccoon was very anxious at the gesture. Usually, he had been the one who grabbed Nick or cuddled him, not the other way around. Of course, he didn't hate it or want it to stop; he just felt they were plummeting toward something when it happened. They reached his door, apartment 233, and he used his ID card to open it, both of them venturing inside.

Nick's eyes floated around the space, noting that it wasn't at all what he had expected. Initially thinking that Richard would have a clean and proper room, the hyena was surprised to find that it was a mess, with papers and files strewn about and dishes piled up in the sink. Each of the dishes had some remnants of food or sauce on them, the sauce looking like it might have hardened over time. Files covered Richard's couch and his coffee table, which could almost barely be seen under them. Nick was surprised to find that Richard had a TV that he didn't use, and he wondered why he even got it in the first place. Other than that, there were multiple shelves around containing file boxes, all clearly labeled as Richard would.

The hyena turned to Richard. "I probably don't need to ask, but . . . what the heck happened here?"

Richard looked around. "What? It's my work."

"Your work is everywhere."

"It's all Truth Sect things," the raccoon said.

"How does it even get all over the place like this?!" the hyena queried, spreading his arms.

"I suppose I just left the files around once I ran out of room in the file boxes . . . Anyway, I'll make some space for you on the couch." Richard began gathering the silver files into one stack, organizing them alphabetically. Was Nick judging him for how his residence looked? No, not him.

Nick just watched, not being sure if Richard was okay with the mess in his home or not. He wondered if the raccoon might like help cleaning it. No one should live in a cluttered mess like this. That was already a problem he had to deal with Boris before all of this.

"Oh, I just remembered I have a stool somewhere around here," the raccoon said, looking up and rotating his head around the most occupied space. "Hmm . . . where was it? Ah!" Richard dashed over to the seat, cleared and organized the files in a neat stack, placed them on the ground in its place, then brought the stool back and set it in front of the couch.

"You could barely even find the stool, Richard," Nick muttered. "Do you want me to help you?"

"Nonsense. We're celebrating your graduation! The state of my home should be of no concern to you," the raccoon grinned. His heart rushed in his chest, anxious to give Nick his gift. Richard hadn't wrapped it because he didn't know how, but he hoped the hyena wouldn't care. "Let me grab your present." He disappeared into the room.