Chapter 44 - Nick: Revelations

Chapter 44 - Nick: "Revelations"

After stewing in Richard's story for a while with Nick holding onto him, the hyena tried to cheer him up by playing some happier songs, even trying to make one up on the spot that would make him laugh. It worked. Nick was glad, despite feeling a pit in his stomach from everything as of recently.

Unexpectedly, Richard told Nick that he could stay the night and they'd go shopping for furniture the next day. Being as respectful as possible, the hyena opted to sleep on the

couch, claiming it would do just fine. Richard took extra time and care to make sure he really was comfortable before shoving off to his own bed to engage in an entanglement with sleeplessness.

Back on the couch, Nick messed with the green tie that he was still wearing. Well, I did it. I'm a creature hunter now and I can start helping Boris and him. But I can't help feeling shitty about everything that's happened. If our next case is like this, I'll lose my shit. He laid back, sighing. And then there's everything that happened to Richard. I can't believe it. I don't even know what to think right now, but I do know what to do. I'm gonna save them both. It's a lot, but I have to. I will.

=^.^=

"We have a lot to discuss today," Iwai announced, swiveling back and forth in his chair. "Before we begin, just remember this all comes from Catastrophe. Big stuff."

"Oh, boy." Nick rolled his emerald eyes, sitting in a chair beside Richard. "Can't wait."

Richard nodded. "We understand."

The old stag grinned. "Richard knows most of the information I'm distilling, so this is mostly for you, Nick."

The hyena looked at his partner. "Dick actually has something he wanted to tell you first, right?"

The raccoon sat up, straighter in his chair, taking a deep breath. "I'd like to continue being partners with Nicholas. I think I'm ready."

The deer's smile broke into a laugh of excitement. "Okay! Hey, that's great! I'm so proud of you! I knew Nick was gonna be a good match!"

The hyena blushed, his feelings for Richard coming through just a bit. "Heh. Yeah." Match.

Richard nodded, once. "I agree. He has been a great help to me and I think it should keep me going on missions. I'll be able to keep a level head with him around."

"Aww," Iwai tapped the desk. "Sounds like you too have really gotten close!"

"Certainly," Richard answered.

"Well, I'll definitely make it official right after this so you can continue going on missions together! Good stuff, men!"

"Yeah . . ." Nick looked down, fussing with the arms of the seat with his sharp claws. He still wasn't sure if he was prepared for the next case after what he'd experienced in the last one.

Iwai cleared his throat. "Alright, Nick. Knowing you, you're probably going to be angry after hearing this next bit of information."

"Depends on what it is, but probably, yeah," Nick shrugged.

Iwai moved his eyes around, bringing a hand over his mouth and stroking down the little tuft of fur on his chin.  "How do I even begin with this? Hm, well, you know about the Seven Deadly Sins, right?"

"Uh, yeah. I think so," Nick nodded, thinking for a moment. "Yeah."

"Did you know they have opposites? The Seven Contrary Virtues?"

"No, I didn't," the hyena blinked, adjusting in his seat and crossing one leg over the other. "What are they?"

"Humility against Pride, Kindness against Envy, Abstinence against Gluttony, Chastity against Lust, Patience against Wrath, Liberality against Greed, and Diligence against Sloth," Iwai listed off, counting on his fingers as he went to make sure it equaled seven. "Ha! The old man's still got it!"