Chapter 32 - Nick and Richard: Can't Let Go

Chapter 32 - Nick and Richard: "Can't Let Go"

"Ghost?" the female sheep asked, looking between Nick and Richard.

"Yes. You see, the PI you hired before, Dr. Morton, has contacted us on the matter after his investigations," Richard nodded.

"Then why didn't he come back and do the job himself?" she asked, curling her finger in her virgin white wool.

"Because that's our job," the raccoon told her. "And we're here to do it."

"Let me see some badges, then."

Nick spoke up, then. "Badges? Come on. Don't you want to get rid of this ghost?"

"So . . . you don't have badges?"

The hyena tugged at the orange sherbert-colored band on his arm. "We don't use badges." He tried to recall the revelation protocol. "We promise we won't do anything to harm you. Can we please come in so we can explain?"

Richard watched the hyena talk, somewhat shocked that he had taken over the conversation. He would try and make it easier for Nick, but the yellow-tied animal was taking care of it.

The sheep sighed and nodded. "Very well. I can always call the police if you cause trouble." She waved for them to come inside, and they followed, entering the tiny home. They strolled into a living room where the TV had constantly been flipping through moving images, uncaring if anyone was watching or not. The couch was a light coffee color with a cozy vermillion blanket folded over the back of it. The dark chocolate coffee table held a miniature white pot with a fake plant poking out of the false soil. A single black bookshelf sat to the left of the TV. The female sheep set herself down on the couch as Richard and Nick stood in front of her. "So, who are you?"

"My name's Nick," said the hyena, putting a hand on his chest. "And this is my partner Richard like we've explained before."

"My name is Veronica Wirey," the female animal commented. "I wasn't asking your names. I'm asking what company you work for."

The questioned hyena glanced at Richard and saw a slight nod. "We work for the Mortal Guard. An organization which protects animals like you from creatures like them, the supernatural."

Veronica just looked at them both. "Well, if it'll stop the crying I hear at night . . . I might as well take the shot. But any funny business and you're out. I already called a PI once."

Nick nodded. "Don't worry. You see this yellow tie? It means this is my first real mission. I want to help you."

Richard looked at him. "You didn't have to tell her that."

"I'm just trying to make her understand that we won't do anything but try and figure this out," Nick shrugged. "Mind if we take a look around?"

Veronica was still looking at his yellow tie when she said, "Okay."

"Come on, Richard," the hyena said as they began skulking around the animal's small abode, searching for any type of sign that something paranormal was afoot. Down cramped hallways with hanging picture frames and a blinking light, into the kitchen and dining room which only had a big enough table for two, past the bathroom, which had a rather dirty mirror, to a closed door at the end of a corridor.

Richard called back. "Mind if we check in here?"

Veronica appeared behind the corner. "Quiet, you two!" she whispered intensely. "My husband's in there. He's been very sick lately, so he's resting."

Nick put his hand on the knob. "I'd still like to peek in there if that's alright."

Veronica bit her lip for a moment. "Don't make a sound. You're lucky the door's hinges were just oiled a few days ago."