twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE,
BOOM.

               "He locked us in!"

               "He locked us in!". Daryl Dixon yelled, racing towards the scientist; he was so angry that Micheal could see the veins popping out of his neck from where he stood. "You son of a bitch!", he roared.

"Shane!", Rick warned.

The Walsh man lunged and wrapped his arms around the redneck's torso, slinging him away from the man; shouting at him to calm down as he thrashed around in his arms.

Trembling hands locked around Micheal and Sophia's shoulders, he looked up to see Glenn, pulling them along towards the center with the rest of the group. He could tell the Korean man was trying hard not to show he was scared, but he could see the whiteness on his complexion. Micheal looked around to see the same pale color on everyone's faces; even Shane's.

"Jenner, open that door now". Rick demanded through clenched teeth, standing over the sitting man.

"There's no point. Everything topside is locked down. The emergency exits are sealed", he explained, breathlessly.

"Well then open the damn things!".

"That's not something I control. The computers do. I told you once that front door closed, it wouldn't open again". Jenner glanced around the fearful group, gripping onto their loved ones. "It's better this way".

Sophia sobbed, turning to cry into Glenn's stomach, Glenn immediately wrapped his arms around the young girl.

Ricks head snapped around to look at the doctor, "What is? What happens in 28 minutes?".

Jenner didn't say anything,

"What happens in 28 minutes!?—".

"Do you know what this place is?!". Jenner shot up, glaring daggers at Rick. "We protect the public from very nasty stuff! Weaponized smallpox, Ebola strains that could wide out half the country! Stuff you don't ever want to get out, ever!". Nobody said anything, watching Jenner as he took a seat. His face falling into a more calm, complex, expression. "In the event of a catastrophic power failure— in a terrorist attack, for example: H.I.T.s deployed to prevent any organisms from getting out".

"H.I.T.s?".

"Vi, define".

"H.I.T.s". Vi began, "High-impulse thermobaric fuel-air explosives consist of a two-stage aerosol ignition that produces a blast wave of significantly greater power and duration than any other known explosive except nuclear. The vacuum-pressure effect ignites the oxygen at between five-thousand degrees and six-thousand degrees".

"It sets the air on fire", Micheal struggled.

"What did you say, Mike?", Rick asked.

The boy looked up at his older brothers then at Rick, everyone staring at him with a terrified stare, "it sets the air on fire".