sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN,
"would it be fatal?"

               Micheal Pelletier never thought he'd live to see the day he was genuinely worried about Carl Grimes

They hated each other.

They couldn't stand one another.

A car ride with them would be described by nothing other than unbearable. They argued and fought over everything; nothing ever was agreed upon. Honestly, Micheal doesn't know what to call Carl; they weren't friends, but at the same time he wouldn't consider him an enemy or even an acquaintance.

His legs and chest burned.

He was way ahead of Rick and Shane, so far ahead that he had to keep stopping and pleading for them to hurry; he wanted to slow down and let them get ahead but his body wouldn't let him. Everything in him forced him to carry forward.

Micheal was pretty sure they were yelling at the hunter, but he couldn't bring himself to focus on that. He was too busy, too focused.

Micheal turned his head to look at Carl, who's lifeless body laid draped across his fathers arms. His bloody hands laid at his sides, his dark freckles stood out like stars in the night sky across his pale complexion. He was ghostly pale. He swallowed thickly, he couldn't let Carl die because of him too.

He picked up his speed as he ran over the grassy hill. Over the hump was a large farmhouse, painted in a chipped white. He stopped, and stared, watching as a small family poured out of the home and stood on the porch, staring back at him. Micheal turned his head to look back at Rick, who was struggling to get up besides him. "It's right here, come on, just a little further!".

"Go-- go tell them".

Micheal inhaled through his burning lungs before twisting around and running down the hill. "Help!".

━━━━━━━━━━

The golden plaque above the fireplace said: HERSHEL GREENE.

Surrounding the plaque were framed newspaper clippings of pictures of a younger man standing with various different animals, pigs, horses, goats, etc. besides each picture was a lengthy paragraph about what a fantastic veterinarian Hershel Greene was.

Micheal swallowed thickly, silently debating if he should inform Rick about his newfound discovery about the "doctor" saving his sons life. He held his own hands, trying to focus on the newspaper articles rather than the situation at hand.

"That should be me in there", Rick Grimes whispered to his best friend. "Little girl goes missing, you look for her, simple as that, Carl got shot cause I wouldn't cut bait".