¤Chapter 41¤

¤Chapter Forty-One¤

I'm standing on the edge of a building so high up everything on the ground looks no bigger than a pebble. It's cloudy and dark like there's a storm brewing and I'm in the middle of it. My sundress sways in every direction as the strong wind threatens to push me over. My vision is constantly being obstructed by my brown hair. 

I reach up and grab the butterfly necklace around my neck, it's warm unlike the environment around me. Although the world looks like it's falling apart below, I couldn't feel any calmer than I do now. I stretch my arms above me and look towards the heavens, taking it all in.

"You're the only person enjoying this weather right now" Someone chuckles behind me. goosebumps rise on my skin.

I jump backwards so I'm off the ledge and on a more stable surface before turning to face him. "What are you doing here?"

His hand reaches out and holds mine. "Shouldn't we greet each other first? Hello Madison, you look beautiful as always"

"Hi Todd" I mutter then freeze, my eyes widening. Todd? Necklace? Dress? Brown hair? I dyed my hair brown back when I wanted to match the pure image he gave me. It was called a 'makeover' but looking back, that was when I was weak and easily controlled. My fingers grip the necklace to yank it off but it won't budge.

"Don't worry," He pulls out a flask from his coat pocket and chugs it. I watch as a drop of amber liquid dribble down his lips. He wipes it off and grins. "You won't be here long anyway"

I look around, observing the other tall buildings and the large body of water along the horizon. The only sound up here is from the whooshing of the strong breeze. "Where are we exactly?"

He raises a brow. "Look at yourself. You really can't figure it out?"

"A dream." I say, immediately understanding. This dress is the exact same one I wore on the day Todd and I broke up. My hair is styled the same and even my nails have a fresh coat of vibrant nail polish. I wiggle my toes. Sandals feel weird on my feet now but for some reason a part of me doesn't mind it that much.

"Good girl." He throws the flask over the ledge I was standing on. "Now, can you guess why you're dreaming about me and not him?"

I roll my eyes. "Like I can control who or what I dream about. Why don't you cut the bullshit since as you've said, we don't have much time."

"Hmm," He places a hand under his chin in wonder. "It's my first time seeing you act so aggressive looking like that. It's kinda hot."

"Maybe I should just jump off and end this stupid dream." I say aloud to myself. "I have to make sure everyone's okay."

"Wait!" His firm hand holds on to my shoulder as I turn my back to him. "Aren't you worried about me? What if I'm dead? This is your fault you know"

I turn to face him and he stumbles backwards as I walk forward. "Yes, Todd this is my fault. You're right. I shouldn't have accepted your dare when we first met and I shouldn't have let you kiss me—" His back bumps into the door leading inside the building. "But I did and I ended things too late. I-I realized things too late. You hurt me in a way I was never hurt before and it tore me apart. I was broken and that's your fault."

I take a deep breath before continuing, "After being stuck in the loop of revenge and hate and anger for over a year I finally found something special —something that began taking my pain away without me realizing. But you—" I poke his chest. "Had to come back and fuck things up. You had to remind me that it's too late for me to have anything like that, not now that I've been tainted so much. Not now that my heart is black and covered in cracks."