¤Chapter 22¤

¤Chapter Twenty-Two¤

"How about this," Owen suggested playfully. We both sat on the couch stiffly. After his little show of affection earlier and my firm resolution to protect him at all cost, we separated sheepishly. I'm usually not as awkward as he is but my previous thoughts was imprinted in my mind like a tattoo. 

What's the worst that could happen in this little old town anyway? 

Owen doesn't have any enemies, no one wants to hurt him. In fact, it's quite the opposite. People gravitate towards him, hoping to obtain a little bit of his warmth. Apparently, I'm no different. "You tell me a secret and I'll tell you one" He finished.

"Secret?" I rose a brow. He smiled shyly at me and I suddenly became aware of a sudden tightness in my chest. Have my top always been this confining?. My shorts began to feel unreliably clingy as well. I don't remember feeling this uncomfortable before he got here.

"Oh I have my share of secrets, Firefly" He fiddled with the pillows next to him. This intrigued me.

"Really? You have secrets?" I felt my lips twitch slightly. Maybe he anonymously called PETA on his neighbors because their dogs kept barking and he was concerned.  "Tell me."

He tsked, shaking an index finger at me. "Na-uh-uh, you first"

I made an attempt to analyze his body language. The nerves from earlier is still present but he's more relaxed now. If his demeanor was stiff then perhaps I'd call B.S on this whole situation but I think he's serious. "Okay, you're allowed to ask me one question" I stretch my arm across the plush cushion behind me and twist to face him. "Who knows, it might reveal something interesting."

"Deal." He agreed then stopped to consider his question carefully. "What did you mean the night of the party when you said you won't ever...?" His voice trailed off.

Out of all the questions...

I smirked, ignoring the strange feeling in my stomach. "You mean when I said I'll never have sex again?"

He gulped. "Yeah, what's that about?"

At that moment there were so many ways I could tease him to make him squirm but surprisingly, I resisted in hopes of maintaining a conventional atmosphere between us. I retied my hair before answering because my body began feeling way too warm. "My ex-boyfriend was my first and last romantic experience."

"Why?" He asked hesitantly.

"I thought we agreed on one question?" I glared, trying to figure out why I'm doing this in the first place.

"Well," He poked my nose and I smacked his hand away in defiance. "If you had answered completely, I wouldn't have to ask for more details—" He paused and something dark washed over his features. "Not that I want much details about your escapades."

I know I said I would resist but I have to tease him at least one time.

"What, do you wish you were first?" I batted my lashes, trying to appear innocent.

His eyes widened, a deep shade of crimson rushing to his cheeks. "N-No I meant—"

"Haven't you popped enough cherries in your lifetime? Don't tell me you're after mine too" I leaned away from him placing both hands over my chest in an act of modesty.

"I..." He began then stopped, his plump lips pressing together in a firm line.

I blanched. "No way, don't tell me you haven't—" I gently banged both my fists together in a gesture to emphasize. He remained quiet and my back straightened. "You've never...? Not even once?"