¤Chapter 31¤

¤Chapter Thirty-one¤

Eyes.

More specifically, staring eyes. 

That's what I noticed when I walked down the crowded hallways. By the end of the day, the entire school knew that me and Owen were a couple. Some looked at me in shock like they'd expected me to date the leader of a biker gang or something. Not a reserved, sometimes shy, book smart athlete like him. 

But they don't know him like I do. I have a feeling no one does. He also has an assertive side that makes me want to wrap my legs around him and never let go. A side that lets him take control even if he's not sure what he's doing.

Like a serpent, these qualities ensnared my heart and kept squeezing until I accepted the fact that I wanted to be with him. Only then did the weird feeling subside. As I approached my locker Mrs. Matthews spotted me on her way to the conference room and winked before giving me a thumbs up. Great, I thought to myself, even the teachers know. If I recall correctly, she was rooting for him from the very beginning. I vaguely remember her telling me what a kind, sweet person he is.

Apparently a couple of students saw me and Owen being lovey dovey outside the gym earlier and that caused the story to spread like a virus. I'm not used to all this attention. I don't like it but by the way everyone still keeps their distance from me, I can tell they still fear me as well. Maybe that apprehension will protect Owen? 

Agreeing to be his girlfriend was selfish and will most likely put a target on his head. The fact that people saw us in public makes things worse. I get so immersed when I'm around him that my brain doesn't function the way it usually does. The feelings that I keep trying to push back overwhelm me to the point where I only have the energy to focus on us.

"Penny for your thoughts, my lady?" A smooth arm linked with mine, pulling me from my contemplative mind.

I stopped in front of my locker and pressed my back against the cool metal before glaring up at him. "How long are you going to keep doing that royalty crap?"

He placed one hand in front of his abdomen and bowed in an elegant fashion. "Does it displease the lady when I speak like a high-born from the eighteen-hundreds?"

I coughed to cover up a smile I failed to conceal. "Yes it does."

His eyes darkened in a way only I would notice. "Will there be a 'punishment' if I continue anyway?"

I gasped and smacked his arm lightly before hissing, "Owen!"

His cheeks flushed from embarrassment. "Sorry, I got too carried away. I'll stop"

 "What, can't keep playing a game you started?" I teased, feeling slightly disappointed his salacious side was so brief.

"Not this game," He shook his head definitively. "Not with you."

 "Why not me?" I challenged. Every time things get fervent between us he turns into someone that makes my heartbeat quicken. It's a time I'm willing to relinquish control and let myself be swept away. 

"Madi, we're... in public" He looked away, pretending to be more interested in the curious onlookers passing by than me. 

I laughed. It was the kind of laughter you feel deep in your chest. The kind that encases you with pure unfiltered joy. "How can you switch from freaky to embarrassed in one minute?"

His head snapped back to me abruptly. "I'm not embarrassed."

"Okay wait a sec Shy Boy," I turned to open my locker. "Let me put away some books before we continue"