¤Chapter 19¤

¤Chapter Nineteen¤

The cool morning breeze caused me to blink rapidly as I rode down the intersection leading to school. Oden slid into our usual spot at the front with ease. I barely managed to hold back a yawn as I removed my black helmet. I woke before my parents and skipped breakfast because I was frantic to leave the house this morning —specifically, the bedroom where I had unwanted recollections of Todd and the living room where the memories of Owen and I are so fresh, I feel like I might blush. 

Because of him I can't look at the doorway, the couch, and not to mention that spot where we stood by the bookshelf. The spot I have to walk past every single day. No matter what I do, I keep getting myself in strange situations with men —some more unwelcomed than others.

Against my better judgement, Owen and Todd raced through my mind all night and I barely remember getting an ounce of sleep. My eyes wandered to Brittney's BMW next to my bike, it was the only student vehicle apart from mine. Why is she here so early? I still don't feel guilty for kissing the boyfriend of my ex-best friend. Firstly, he kissed me and second, I actually tried to prevent it from happening. 

My thoughts traveled back to the way my hand helplessly tried to push his chest, to when I leaned so far back I almost snapped my spine in half, to when I yearned to distance myself from him just so I could...breathe. I tried but it didn't work so what can you do? At the very least I was able to make him keep quiet about the whole thing.

The truth is, he's a thief.

He's a thief that stole my oxygen, personal space, and if I'm not careful, he'll probably try to steal my—

"Wow Ms. Fields, what a pleasant surprise," A authoritative voice rang from the doors at the front entrance. "You're here an hour early. That's a first."

I scoffed at the principal but was still grateful he released me from my wayward thoughts. "Heya Mr. Pot, is the Brendon issue resolved yet?"

He smiled assuredly at my inquiry. "Things are falling into place, yes"

I nodded in understanding. He probably can't talk about it in detail yet —then again I doubt he'll want to pull me to the side personally and break down the specifics even if he could. I opened my mouth to tease him in order to kill a bit of time but just then a voice yelled out from the parking lot, "I'd like to cash my rain check please!"

Perfect just the person I wanted to see.

"If you skip class, there'll be consequences Ms. Fields" Mr. Pot rebuked before trying to get a glimpse of the person behind me. While his tone was strict, his countenance didn't care either way.

With a shrug I replied, "Put it on my tab."

I jogged over to Jace's car and was barely inside before he drove off campus with the speed of a psychopath. His champagne hair was still slicked back like an old school greaser. Today however, he looked unusual, sporting one of those vibrant touristy button up shirts and a pair of cargo shorts —It looked like he was coming back from a tropical vacation.

 Even with the bright morning sun shining directly on him, his eyes were still as dark as twilight. His lips, the only part of his features that appeared normal, looked smooth to the touch and well pampered. Forget tourist, he seemed more like a rich kid living life like it's his very own personal sitcom. He's a complete mystery, but unlike Owen, all I need is a little time to solve this one.

"Are you done checking me out?" He gave me a titillating look before focusing on the road again. "Like what you see perhaps?"

Ignoring his obnoxious question completely I asked, "Where are you taking me?"