¤Chapter 21¤

¤Chapter Twenty-One¤

My fist slammed into the punching heavy bag, it swung from the force of my anger and came back towards me. I jumped out of the way in time. The pizza I had for dinner would have made a reappearance had I not efficiently dodged that. Each punch was stronger than the last and my feet moved quicker with every dodge. Sweat slid down my face, and back, and chest —everywhere.

I adjusted the fan but at this point, the air in this small space just felt warm. After my internal battle with darkness and light earlier, I closed the blinds in my bedroom and changed into a sports black bra and a pair of matching spandex gym shorts. The shorts hugged my body like a second skin which is comfortable for this kind of activity because it involves a lot of jumping around. 

When I told dad I needed a refresher he later texted me a long list of training regiments to complete. This used to happen when I first started learning his insane techniques. He taught me the basics at a young age but it wasn't until I transformed into Madi that I began to try and hone those skills. I never cared before then.

Mom's hesitancy to allow it made me care even less back then and I kind of felt bad for dad because she always sent him the nastiest glares. She warmed up to the idea last year when she noticed how much it has helped me grow emotionally and mentally. Now, as dad suggested, I'm going over the basics and I might try to spar with him later if he has time. Or if he's even home.

 My parents are rarely home because of their careers but ever since my change I've started seeing them more often during breakfast. Especially when I went through my first —and hopefully last— heartbreak. Dad was still absent most afternoons and at night but mom would hold me and brush my hair until I fell asleep. She would always tell me everything will be okay. I was a sad mess but she was a ball of fire, ready to spit flames at anyone who upset me during that time —even dad. 

I wholeheartedly believe that figurative bastion helped shape who I am today. The hostility made her appear strong and intimidating even though people typically views her as the short five feet something doctor with kind but tired eyes. It was all to protect me from the world that I began to fear and I'm grateful she did that. This is why I don't mind making my own dinner most of the time or coming home to an empty house. If I ever need them, they're always right there so their absence doesn't affect me as much as it should. 

Moving to the other side of the garage, I pulled out a training dummy that stood in a corner. It was the head and torso of a synthetic person attached to a tall silver rod that shifts around when inflicted with enough force. I pat Bob's bald head once in greeting before swinging my left leg around and striking its neck.

 The dummy swung close to touching the ground then sprung back up using more energy than what I initially gave. This time, I jumped into a spin kick using my right leg. Bob was adjustable so dad makes me practice with him at maximum height. All my foes won't be on my level was his reasoning behind it. He's right of course.

I ran through a regimen of punches, kicks, jabs, twists, and turns repeatedly until I felt like my knees were going to buckle beneath me. Panting, I stumbled into the kitchen and grabbed a glass filling it with cold water. The doorbell rang and I froze. Who could it be? My parents wouldn't ring because they have a key. Jace maybe? No, I don't think he knows where I live. But then again it wouldn't be hard for him to find out since it was him and Todd that moved, not me.

I never thought of it before but why did Jace move? I always thought Todd left because he was tired of me giving him the cold shoulder. He still antagonized me after we broke up, still taunted me but I was numb to his advances. I couldn't feel anything anymore so it was easy to ignore him. I couldn't trust my senses or my emotions so I didn't.