24- MTF An Extra in the Movie Grease

Copyright © designschool 2021

All Rights Reserved

     Staring at the wilting flowers on her desk, Gia frowned at the course of the week's events. After breaking up with Brian Monday, he seemed to have the impression that she just needed time and help to deal with her emotions, and that they could eventually get back to dating. With that in mind he'd sent her flowers on Tuesday, with a note saying he was there for her and they could take things as slow as necessary. As if that wasn't disheartening enough, she felt like she was punched in the gut while working with Nick in his office and catching a glimpse of a text from Madison. She caught the words "excited for our dinner", but couldn't make out the rest. When he finally saw it himself, his face was unreadable as he tucked his phone in his pocket.

     Wednesday the chaos continued when Brian showed up just before lunchtime to deliver some files that could have easily been emailed. He followed up by asking to take Gia to lunch, but thankfully Nick overheard the exchange and approached her desk in time to tell her she had some "urgent" work she'd need to stay and finish. Nick then took Brian to lunch, and upon his return told Gia he'd made it clear that Brian needed to give her space. Time will tell if he understood.

     Nick was especially attentive all week, and while she appreciated his care, she worried he felt pity for her. He had more energy and enthusiasm than usual, especially after his dinner with Madison Wednesday, which caused Gia to feel even more depressed. On Thursday while they were having lunch, he asked what her Friday plans were and she absentmindedly revealed she had none. No sooner than she'd mentioned it, he insisted that she come to Ember with him for the '50's night. According to him, Sabrina already had outfits lined up for them, including an iconic poodle skirt. Excited at the thought of something to do besides mope in her apartment, she accepted. Now that it was actually Friday and time to leave, though, she was beginning to regret her decision. It hadn't registered that he might be bringing Madison too, and when he insisted Gia come to his place after work to eat before they left, the realization dawned on her.

     "Nick, I can go home and just meet you there."

     "Gia, that makes no sense, it's only three blocks from my place. If you go home, I'll end up going all the way to yours and then have to double back my direction. I've already got the clothes at my place too."

     Gia stared at him, trying to work out a way that he would agree to let her go home.

     "You know I'm right." Nick shook his head. "Don't even try to get out of it. You know I won't let you go there on your own."

     Pursing her lips, Gia let out a breath. "Fine. Thank you." She was thankful, but apprehension still filled her.

     All afternoon Gia debated asking Nick if Madison would be joining them, and as they walked down his hallway the need to know and prepare herself won out. Her hands tensed as she forced out the words. "Is Madison going tonight?"

     Nick looked at her uneasily. "Um, actually she has a girls night tonight."

     At his response, her whole body relaxed.

     "Are you okay?" Nick questioned once he turned to face Gia from his apartment entrance. "You look a little pale."

     "I... I think I just need some water."

     Nick rushed her in and helped her to the sofa before getting her a drink.

     "Thanks." Gia leaned back, before taking the water from his hand. The worry over Madison had clearly stressed her more than she realized, which was frustrating. Gia had worked so hard to be strong, and it was bad enough that she had issues getting close to guys, but she'd never let herself get worked up over a man with a girlfriend. To be honest, she'd never gotten worked up over any man. Robert had been a friend for so long that dating seemed like the next step. Forcing herself to breath slowly, she determined she would get these feelings under control. There were still just over six more months in New York; she had to. These feelings were not sustainable.