39- MTF Take the Bait

Copyright © designschool 2021

All Rights Reserved

     "You ready for our meeting?"

     "I have the financial statements for the thirty companies you've recommended for Mr. Spicer. They've been ranked, categorized, and highlighted which should help both him and us to keep track of things. I also made summary pages for each," Gia explained to Nick as they left the office.

     Nick nodded and looked at his watch. "Thanks."

     Gia was a nervous wreck all morning, all week actually. Nick acting distant towards her only made it worse. He had been released on bail with his promise to work with the FBI agents to catch Chelsea in the act. They'd bugged his office, added several video cameras, and had his computers and phone being monitored. It made it awkward when they were working together in his office, knowing that not only was every word they said being listened too, but also they were being watched. After a week of going over plans with the FBI agents and worrying about how the outcome would affect Nick, she was at her wits end. She understood that he was stressed and had a lot hanging in the balance, but it didn't hurt any less when he ignored her and gave her abrupt answers.

     It turned out that the FBI had gotten involved months earlier, after the IRS found discrepancies in several accounts while doing an audit. When they looked more closely they found illegal activity in a number of accounts that belonged to Nick and another employee, which Nick and Gia presumed was Ben Nakamura, though the FBI agents wouldn't give his name. At that point the FBI jumped in and had been quietly examining account activity until they felt they had gathered enough evidence. It was more than coincidence that Gia saw Chelsea on Valentine's Day, certainly it had been an act of God that she stayed back to decorate Nick's office.

     Nick set the stage Monday by speaking with Chelsea that morning to tell her if she needed anything it would have to be before they left at eleven for their lunch meeting. Then Gia made sure to tell Stephen and Allison they expected to be gone for a couple of hours. They had hoped Chelsea would take the bait. The sooner they could catch her in the act, the better.

     Unfortunately Chelsea didn't take the bait Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. In fact today was Thursday and they were worried the Valentine's run-in had scared her since it was the last time she was in Nick's office. Nick saw her at some meetings and they had spoken, but she'd not indicated needing "help" like she had claimed before. The agents commented that this week there was no activity on the accounts that were under scrutiny, and Gia wondered how long it would be before the FBI said they were done waiting and assumed that her accusation against Chelsea was all a bluff.

     There were only so many ways Nick could "casually" throw out the fact that he would be out of the office for meetings when speaking with Chelsea, without her becoming suspicious. Thankfully, today at a morning meeting Chelsea and Nick both attended, another colleague just happened to ask Nick what he was working on and he was able to mention their afternoon meeting with a client. Hoping for the best, they went about their day.

     It took a huge amount of will power to concentrate on their meeting, knowing that Chelsea might possibly be accessing his accounts and then the nightmare would be over. Unfortunately, the meeting took even longer than expected. By the time they were finished it was after five.

     "Why don't I take you straight home, since it's not much further than the office. Unless you've left something there you need?"

     "What?" Gia's mind had drifted to the FBI investigation, yet again. "Um, could we go somewhere and eat? I feel like we've not had any time together this week, and at the office we can never speak privately anymore." She forced a smile.