33- MTF Doubting

Waking up Gia felt like a princess who was just kissed by the prince and found she'd escaped from a horrible curse, then was thrust into a world where friendly animals surround her and happiness abounded. Well, maybe not surrounded by animals, unless you can call the pigeons at nearby park friendly animals. But the happiness... and the kiss... and the release from the curse. They were all real and she couldn't keep the smile from her face. It really happened!

     A greeting from her very own prince awaited her in the form of a good morning text and she practically floated into the kitchen to make a very late breakfast, now that it was eleven.

     "Good morning, Evie," Gia said brightly. "How long have you been up?"

     "Maybe about thirty minutes." Evie was stretched out on the sofa typing on her phone with a smile on her face.

     "Matt?"

     "Mm-hm. He wanted to call, but I was holding him off until you were awake so we wouldn't bother you. I'll call him in a bit."

     With a plate of avocado toast with salmon, and a cup of lavender tea, Gia joined her friend in the living room. She had barely sat down, when the texts began.

Nick: what time will you be finished with Jolie? I want to take my beautiful girlfriend out and spend some time together on the first day of the year.

     Her heart began to race at the thought of spending time with him.

Gia: We're meeting at one, so I'd say by three.

Nick: Can I pick you up at five?

Gia: Sure. I'd love that.

Nick: Don't dress up, we're going somewhere casual.

Gia:👍

     As soon as she sent the last text, Gia's mind started working. Chicken piccata with the leftover polenta in the fridge. She could put that together in no time. "Evie, what if I had Nick over for dinner?" Evie made a face. "Come on, it would be great to start the first day of the new year with my best girl and boyfriend." Evie pressed her lips together, but no words emerged. She was saying something with her eyes, but Gia couldn't read it. What are you not saying? I promise we won't make you feel like a third wheel." She'd felt that way over Christmas a few times with Evie and Matt and it wasn't fun.

     "That's not it. I..." Evie stopped and shook her head.

     "What?"

     "Do you not think things are moving a bit quickly with you two?"

     "Quickly?" A crease formed on Gia's forehead. "I've known him for six months, and we've been going back and forth with our feelings for most of that."

     "I know. When you put it that way it sounds fine. I just mean for you... with what you've dealt with." She looked at Gia pointedly, but Gia was still at a loss. "The kiss. It seems really fast. Do you think you maybe forced it just to prove something to yourself."

     Gia shrugged. She'd thought about that, and there might be some truth to it. "What if I did? I've had feelings for him for a long time."

     "And what about his past? The issue that kept him from dating anyone seriously all this time? Have you found out what that is?" Gia just blinked at the words. "What if you change your mind about him when you find out? You can't undo your first real kiss. And won't it be worse for you if you've let yourself get so attached and fallen "in love," only to have to separate yourself from him?"