Chapter 12: The White Wizard and a Maiden's Song

*Short Chapter*

After some time, in Fangorn; Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli follow the trail of their lost companions. Gimli stops and puts a finger on a blood-stained leaf and tastes it as he spits it out "Orc blood" They start to run through the forest as Aragorn pauses to examine the ground "These are strange tracks" Gimli was behind them looking around "The air is so close in here" he said as he held his axe high in his hand as Legolas spoke up "This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory and anger" Deep groaning could be hear as Gimli raised his axe "The trees are talking to each other." They both turned to Gimli as Aragorn in a low whisper "Gimli, lower your axe" Suddenly realizing what he meant "Oh..." Gimli said softly.

"Aragorn, something is out there" Legolas said as he moved looking deeper into the forest "What do you see?" Aragorn asked as Legolas scanned the forest "The white wizard approaches as he gestures to behind them without turning around

"Aragorn, something is out there" Legolas said as he moved looking deeper into the forest "What do you see?" Aragorn asked as Legolas scanned the forest "The white wizard approaches as he gestures to behind them without turning around. "Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us" Aragorn said softly as he grips his sword, Gimli grasps his axe and Legolas loads his bow with an arrow "We must be quick" Aragorn whispered. They quickly turn around and are greeted by a brilliant white light. Gimli throws his axe, which is deflected. Legolas fires an arrow, again deflected and Aragorn's sword turns red hot so that he drops it from it burning his hand.

The bright light did not dim as a voice reached out "You are tracking the footsteps of an elf maiden and two young hobbits" the voice said; seemingly very familiar. Aragorn's eyes widened as he yelled back "Where are they?" The light was quiet as it spoke again "They passed this way before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" Aragorn now getting frustrated as he yelled back "Who are you?! Show yourself!" And in that moment, the light dimmed revealing Gandalf; as he steps out of the light all dressed in white robes and a white staff. "It cannot be..." Aragorn in disbelief. Legolas quickly bows down "Forgive me. I mistook you for Saruman" Legolas says as Gandalf smiles "I am Saruman. Or rather, Saruman as he should have been." He responds.

Gandalf walked a bit towards them "I assure you that the hobbits are in safe hands" he smiled as Legolas stepped forward "And of Asteria? Is she alright?" his voice laced with worry as Gandalf turns to him "She is quite safe

Gandalf walked a bit towards them "I assure you that the hobbits are in safe hands" he smiled as Legolas stepped forward "And of Asteria? Is she alright?" his voice laced with worry as Gandalf turns to him "She is quite safe." He says as he gestures down a path deeper into the woods. Legolas looked at the path then Gandalf "Go, make haste though. We must ride to Rohan" Legolas nodded and ran down the path. He traveled the path and started to hear singing softly through the trees. He knew it was Asteria.