24;

chapter 24; future things
_____

Julie

• April •

"Mom? Where did you put my dress?" I yelled down the hall of Justin's house, hoping she would hear me. Tonight was prom night and Justin and his family invited Stella, Leah, and I to get ready in his house so it would be easier for us all to leave at the same time. Stella's mother and even Leah's mother made an appearance and all our mothers were just hanging out downstairs somewhere and waited for us to be done.

I was in Justin's room and everything was literally a disaster. I forgot where I put every single thing I needed and I was slowly getting frustrated with myself. I truly didn't want to be stressed out but it was already too late for me. My mother came upstairs and entered Justin's room with my dress in her hands.

"Here it is love," she handed it to me. "You look stressed, can I help you with something?" she asked concerned and I nodded my head in defeat. I knew I needed help.

"Help me get in the dress first please?"

My mother didn't hesitate to help me with my dress and zipped the zipper on the back of the purple dress. I then asked her to help me with a few other little things I needed and when she was done I thanked her with a kiss on her cheek and then she headed downstairs again.

I looked into the mirror and looked at myself, admiring the purple dress I was wearing. I really loved it a lot. One reason was that Justin bought it for me and that made me think back to the day he asked me to go to prom with him.

_

"Where are we going?" I asked Stella when I was in her car. The whole day at school she had been bothering me and making sure I had no plans for the evening but she never told me why.

I began to think that she was going to kidnap me or something but she seemed so excited about something and I was dying to know what was going on. Plus she told me like five times to dress nice and to do my hair and make-up. I did that of course even though I didn't know the reason why I needed to do it.

"We're going to Venice Beach," she said and looked at me when I was buckling my seatbelt.

"Wait, all this because you wanted to go to the beach?" I widened my eyes at her. "You could have just said that. What are we doing there then?"

"I won't tell you. You'll see." She smiled and began driving.

"I'm starting to believe I'm not safe with you," I said to her and she laughed as a response. "At least I've dressed appropriately for the beach," I mumbled.

After minutes of listening to music, singing along, and banging my head back and forth to the beat, we finally arrived at the beach. There were a lot of people there but not as many as there would usually be at that time, probably because it was a weekday.

Stella told me to follow her and I did, letting her lead me to God knows where. We walked for a little while until all of a sudden my eyes were covered by a pair of hands and I stopped walking. At first, I thought it was Stella but it couldn't be because she literally just stood next to me and I would have noticed if she had moved.

My hands went up to the hands that were covering my eyes and I began to touch the fingers one by one, feeling every knuckle of the familiar hands. When I realized who they belonged to I smiled like an idiot.

"Justin," I whispered, and with that he let go of my eyes and I turned around to face him. He mimicked my smile and leaned in to capture my lips with a sweet kiss.