43

A few months already passed after the graduation ceremony. There were so many things happen throughout the past few months. I did a lot of job hunting from all job websites. Even on the New Year's, I was so focused on searching for a job. It was Sunday night; I smiled and stretched my arms after looking up at the laptop screen for a couple of hours. I went to lay on my bed and scrolled the feed on my social media. Suddenly, a notification pops in. Ping! One new email. "Hmmm. A new email? I wonder what it could be." I said.

I opened up the email and read it, "Thank you for your application. We would like to have an interview session next week on the date mention." I gasped, "Wow! I am going to an interview next Monday. Oh My God!' I put my hands on my chest and said to myself, "Hopefully, I pass the interview and get a job in the city."

A week passed and it was time for the interview. I woke up early in the morning to get ready. I picked a suitable outfit for the interview. "Hmm, maybe a blue shirt and black skirt tucked in to keep it neat and formal. First impression is important." I said. I paired it up with black shoes.

I walked downstairs to have a quick breakfast. I had a toast and drank orange juice. I quickly got up and bid good bye to my parents, "Mom. Dad. I have to go now. Wish me luck for the interview!" My mom hugged me and replied to me, "Good Luck for the interview. I know my daughter can do it." I smiled and thanked her. My dad nodded and said "All the best!" I smiled cheerfully and replied, "Thanks dad!" I skipped along, went towards the car. I went inside the car, starting the engine and drove the way to the city. The company was a bit far from my house. That's why I need to leave home early in order to arrive there on time.

Almost two hours later, I arrived at the destination. I had an interview session at a company called Times Company. It is a publishing company and I will be interviewing for the position of marketing assistant. A part of me was nervous. Another part of me was excited and being hopeful. Yesterday night, I went through a lot of strategies on how to answer interview questions in a correct manner. My heart beat faster and I walked towards the company building. I put a hand in my chest and said, "Everything will be alright. Just give it a go."

I pushed the door to enter the building and went straight to the front desk. I smiled, greeting the receptionist, "Good Morning. I am one of the candidates to join the interview session in the marketing department. I would like to know where is the interview be conducted." The receptionist, a young lady, around my age, smiled back and replied to me, "Good Morning to you too. The interview will be conducted on the meeting room 1. It is on the 1st floor. You may take the elevator on the right. The room will be on your right once you reach the first floor." I smiled, thanking her and headed to the elevator.

I pushed the button and reached the first floor within a few minutes. I sat, waiting for my turn to be call to enter the interview room. I took a deep breath and exhale slowly. I calmed myself down and hummed a song to ease my nervousness. Suddenly, I heard one of the staffs called my name. I turned right and nodded to what she said. "Alice Clarke! You may come in." She said. I took another breath and immediately stood up, heading my way to the meeting room for the interview session.

20 minutes later, I came out of the room. My heart was still beating faster. Well, it was beating faster than before. I was still in dazed, could not believe what happened just now. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I went to the elevator to reach the lobby. A few minutes later, I headed straight to my car. As soon as I went inside my car, I gasped loudly and said, "I cannot believe I got the job! I passed the interview! Thank God for that. I am so thankful. Wait, I should call my mom. Or should I surprise her and tell her when I arrived home."

I smiled as I remembered what happened just now in the interview session. The team leader, Mrs. Jasmine smiled as she heard my response to all the questions she asked throughout my interview session. Then she said, "Congratulations. You are hired. You may start working by next two weeks, Ms. Alice." I nodded and thanked her, feeling thankful, "Thank you, Mrs. Jasmine." 

I smiled brightly, about to head home and suddenly something popped in my mind. "Oh, I should go the bookstore. I need to buy a book and a sticky note for my work." I said to myself. Then, I drove to the nearest bookstore. 10 minutes later, I arrived and parked my car at the parking lot.

I walked to the bookstore. My eyes were shining brightly as I had always loved going to the bookstore ever since I was a young girl. I went to the fiction book sections and scanned through a few books. "Hmm, which books should I buy? I wonder if there is the book of 'To the boys I've loved before 2.' I had always wanted to read that before watching the movie.' I said to myself. I began to look around for the book until I accidentally bumped into a woman. I immediately looked at her and apologized, "I am sorry, Miss. Are you alright?" She looked at me and nodded, "It's alright. I am fine." Her face looked familiar though. I took a few glances at her before she finally noticed that I was sneaking glances at her.

"Hmm. She seemed so familiar. I wonder if I have met her before. At the university, perhaps?" I mumbled. I shrugged and added, "Who cares. Now, let's find the book and other things that I needed for my work." 30 minutes later, I went out of the bookstore and headed home.

2 hours later, I arrived home and immediately hugged my mom tightly. I smiled brightly, from ear to ear, telling my mom the good news. "MOM! Mommmm! Guess what? I passed the job interview. I got the job. I will be starting in two weeks! I am so excited!" I exclaimed loudly. My mom gasped and hugged me back. She congratulated me and we talked for a few minutes until she said something that I never think of. 

"So, Alice. Since you already got a new job, why don't you search for a rented house nearby your workplace? Wouldn't that be easier for you? And isn't that your dream to be independent and explore a new adventure of life?" She said to me.

I widened my eyes, feeling shocked and said, "Are you serious, mom? I mean yeah it is my dream and goal to live independently. After all, I am already an adult. So it is a yes, right?"