46

It was already evening and the wedding ceremony ended. I bid good bye to all of my friends especially the newlyweds, Kathy and Jeremy. I made a few wishes for them and told them to enjoy their honeymoon at Maldives. I drove home and arrived at my share house an hour later.

All of my housemates were out and I was alone at home. I was about to lay down at the couch and I received a text from my housemate, Sarah. I reached my phone and read our group chat, "Hey, is anybody home? I forgot my house key." I laughed and replied to the chat, "Luckily, I just arrived home. Are you on the way home?" She replied in an instant, "Yes."

I waited for Sarah to arrive home. 10 minutes later, I heard a knock on the front door. I opened the door, saying in a teasing manner, "Well, look who forgot their house key once again." She giggled and replied to me, "Sorry. You know how I am such a forgetful person, right?" I laughed at her and signaled for her to come in. Both of us had a bit of chat on how our day was and I told what happened at Kathy's wedding.

After an hour, both of us had our dinner. Sarah bid good bye as she had to sleep early tonight. I went inside my room to relax after a long tiring day. I scrolled through the pictures of me and my friends at the wedding. It was such a memorable day. I looked pretty for once. Well, that's what I thought. I smiled looking at each of the pictures that were taken. Ping! My phone buzzed signaling one message incoming. I swiped to see the notification and it was a message from Aaron. My heart skipped a beat and I felt panic. I mumbled, "Why would he message me?"

I read the message, "Hey. Can we meet tomorrow?" I replied back immediately, "Why?" Ping! One new message. I read, "Annie told me what happened. I wanted to give you an explanation to you." I sighed and said to myself, "I thought she promised not to tell him." I scoffed, replying, "There's no need. I really don't care anymore." Ping! "Please Alice. For the sake of our friendship? For the sake of our conscience?" I sighed and agreed to meet him tomorrow. I put my hand on my chest and said, "It is time to do it. Let it all out tomorrow. It's now or never."

The next morning, I woke up early in the morning and got ready for the meeting with Aaron at the nearest café in town. I wore a dark blue shirt and black jeans. I tied my hair in a messy bun. I quickly went out of the house. I walked towards the bus stop, while putting my earphones in to listen to music. My housemates, Abigail and Britney borrowed my car as they needed to buy groceries at the nearby convenience store. "Let's go!" I said, trying to sound cheerful.

30 minutes later, I arrived at the café. I looked around the café looking for him. There were a few people at the café. I turned to my right and saw Aaron waving at my direction. I put a fake smile on my face and went towards him. I sat down, looking at him cheerfully and said, "Hey. It's been a while. How are you doing?" Aaron looked at me, his eyes were filled with sorrow and a hint of guilt, I supposed.

He cleared his throat, paused for a few seconds and replied, "Yeah. I am good. How are you?'" I cut him off, and being straight forward asking his intention of meeting me, "So, why did you ask to meet? What do you need to say to me? I am pretty sure there's nothing important."

He looked a bit unsure and stuttered a little bit, "Um... So. I- I heard you met my sister, Annie and told her your perspective of our break up." He added, "Alice, I am sorry. I am sorry for lying to you and giving lame excuses to you." I faked a smile, pretending that I am fine, "It's alright. I already get over it. It doesn't matter anymore. So, are we done, here?" He looked at me and said, "No. No, I am not done talking yet. Alice, do you think we could start over?"

"Start over? What on earth is he thinking?" I thought to myself. I furrowed my eyebrows, stared at him and said, "What did you just say? I thought you are already engaged to her?!" I exclaimed loudly, unable to control my temper, "What do you think you are doing? Aaron, this is not right!" He shushed me, trying to tell me to slow down my voice.