29 - I want you.

Selene couldn't think of a time where she had felt this uncomfortable or awkward. She was currently sat right next to James  very close. Their knees were almost brushing against each other. She kept sneaking glances at the messy haired boy, (he had been sneaking glances at her as well.)

The Gryffindors hadn't said two words to each other ever since Selene's outburst. Selene was slightly mortified with her confession, but was standing her ground and not taking her word back.

Selene took a breath in and out and then did the most healthiest thing possible. She shoved three strawberries in her mouth at the same time. "Woah, Sel," Marlene said from beside the brunette. "Slowdown. I love food too, but it would really dampen my mood if you chocked and died."

"Wow, Marls," Selene smiled sarcastically, her face still filled with the red fruit. "Thank you, truly."

"No prob-lame-o!" Marlene said with a smile. "I am always here for you."

Selene huffed and looked over at Lily who was sitting across her.

Lily shrugged.

Selene raised a brow. Normally the red-head would have more to say then merely shrugging.

If Selene thought that breakfast was awkward, she had no idea what Potions was going to be like.

Sitting by James was awkward for her. Having to work and socialize with him was horrendous. Right now Slughorn was having the class do inventory. And by inventory he meant cutting up ingredients and putting them away for him.

Or working on missing work, which Selene hated to admit but she had a lot of it.

"Crush it, don't cut." Selene heard Severus say from across the room. She rolled her eyes, but looked up to see if anyone was looking. She took the knife and crushed instead of cutting the bean.

To her surprise it worked, the sopophorous bean didn't fly back at her.

"How did you do that?" Lily asked, "When I did it, it took ages to get correct."

"Pure talent." Selene smirked.

The final activity of the day was tutoring James Potter. It was bittersweet. The last session for the year, perhaps forever.

James had successfully passed muggle-studies with great scores. Selene was proud of him. The only thing left to do was the final essay. Which he could totally afford to flunk since he got an O.

"Interrupting cow." James said randomly.

"What?"

"MOO!"

Selene blinked in response, "Are you twelve?"

"At heart, yes." He nodded.

"You're real funny." Selene smiled sarcastically, "Okay now, I have taught you better than this. You can't swear in your essay."

"Why not?" James asked.

"It's not classy."

"Who decides what is and isn't classy?"

Selene closed her eyes and took a deep breath in and out. she didn't know how much of this she could take. "Can you be serious?"

"No, unfortunately I cannot." James said, running a hand through his messy hair.
"Considering he is my best friend, it would be hard to become Sirius. Even though I am a stag. My mind is amazing but not quite becoming another human level."

Selene scowled and pinched the bridge of her nose in a mixture of being so done and annoyance. "I can't do this, not today."

"Aw, come on, Sel," James whined, taking her hand before she could pull away. "James," Selene said.

"Yes?" He let go of her hand.

"You're smart, J." Selene said to the boy with hazel eyes, "I know you know what to do. I believe you can do this. I- I'm going to go."

She took her bag and wand and got up from the spot of grass they were sitting on. She slung her bag over her shoulder and sent him a smile before walking away.

She noticed the the giant squid coming up to the surface, it almost looked like he waved at her. She noticed the trees and the way they swayed with the wind, the leaves brushing against each other. The air and the soft breeze and the way it flowed against her skin. She was noticing everything except for the boy behind her.

"Selene, wait." James yelled after her. Selene kept walking ignoring him. She heard footsteps come up from behind her. She felt a hand grab hers and spin her around.

Soon enough lips crashed onto hers. She squealed in surprise. Despite her annoyance she quickly melted into the body and lips that belonged to James Potter. She could feel him smile against her. His arm snaked around her waist pulling her closer. Selene smiled too, this was unlike anything they had ever shared before. There was no underlying feelings or thoughts of doubt, it felt true. Their hands were still holding each other tightly. Selene brought her free hand up to cup his face before pulling away.

She looked him in the eye. A warm feeling in her chest. "Wow." Selene breathed.

"That's all you have to say?" James smirked. Their hands still holding each other's. "Wow?"

"Yes."

"I really like you too, Sel." James said, "I know I am late to saying it, but I mean it, every word I am about to say. It was never a game for me, ever. I know it must've been confusing for you. Me chasing after your best mate for so long, but I want you. Let's say tomorrow Lily asked me out, I would say no because I want you. I know we have been very back and forth but I don't want that anymore."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Yay." Selene smiled, "Um, I don't really know what to say... thank you?"

"How about be my girlfriend?"

"I'd be okay with that."

note: short but what we have all been waiting for. 🫀