Chapter One|Leaving

"Charlotte, you ready?" called my guardian, also known as my family's friend.
I sighed. This was a new start, a new beginning. My parents left one night. Without reason. They left me in the temporary care of our family friend, Mary.
After a long silence she called again, "Charlotte? You ready to go? Don't rush yourself."
I wasn't told where I was going. But I had to pack a bag as I normally would, but there was one specific thing that surprised me: bring a saddle. I didn't have one. I could buy one once I got there.
I rummaged through my bag for my phone and texted my best friend Madelyn:
Hey
Leaving now ugh
Gonna miss ya
I shut off my phone and shoved it back in my bag.
"Coming!" I yelled.
I grabbed everything, satisfied that I had what I needed. I slumped down the stairs and my mood darkened wondering where I was going. Nobody would tell me. I followed Mary out to her blue hybrid car.
"Long drive?" I questioned.
"Eh, we're in Boston we can get anywhere."
Mary started her engine and we left the garage. We waved to the parking attendants who worked there. The car was unusually quiet so I turned to my earbuds for music. After what seemed like an entire soundtrack of music, we arrived at a cruise ship company. What were we doing there? I looked deep into the waves and dazed until a sharp noise sent a pierce through my daydream. It was the honking of a cruise ship ready to board. I looked at Mary. She just stood there with her bag slung on her shoulder smiling. She patted my head.
"Wait. Just settle."
I nodded but I was still uncertain. When I turned again I reconsidered my thoughts. I saw a ferry (that was the noise!) with a logo that said Jorvik Shipping Co. "Mary, are we taking a ferry today?" I inquiresd.
"Yes, my dear," Mary replied.
With my gathered information I flipped open the cover of my bag and got a hold of my pink case. I tugged my phone all the way out and put my hand on the top because the sunlight was strong that day. I squinted at the logo in metal plated on the side of the boxy boat. Jokvil Skipping co. is what I typed in my search engine. Google bounces back with, "Did you mean "Jorvik shipping co."?" I gave it a shot. Jorvik Shipping Co. Nothing showed up because I had bad reception. I guess I was meant to explore this journey on my own, I thought.