Chapter Sixteen|Subways

"What do you mean, we won't finish?" Skylar protests.
"I was just joking around. But it will be a challenge." I say, "New York is the biggest. City. Ever. You can't expect to know your way around much."
"Well, what do we know? That's where we can start." Alex says.
"Sabine is performing at the New Year's Eve party." I say.
"Aren't parties, like, really scary?" Skylar says nervously.
I smack myself on the head.
"Are we getting anywhere? At all? Just trust me. Please Skylar."
"Guys, it's cool. Don't worry." Alex says, attempting to calm us down.
"Anyways, we need to get to the stage of the New Year's Eve party. That's were Sabine is. But first, we have to get there. We're going to have to take the subway. I don't have enough money for a cab, which would be more straightforward and easy, but I have enough money for the subway, which has many, many routes. I wouldn't be surprised if we got lost." I say.
"Gee, great." Skylar says, rolling her eyes. She was beginning to get on my nerves, but I said nothing. We trotted out of the park and down underground to the subway station. I jumped down the flight of stairs, wind rushing through my ears, and cleared the jump. It was the most exhilarating thing that had happened all day. We must have been up EXTREMELY early, because even the early morning commuters weren't there, which was good, because less people staring at our horses is generally a good thing. We walked up to the card machine and each of us bought one-trip metro cards. We swiped them in the machine and squeezed through with our horses so tightly that we nearly got stuck. I trot towards a platform and we wait for three minutes for the A train to come. When the next subway pulls into the station, Alex's horse rears at the noise.
"Okay guys, let's get on the subway." Alex says.
The car is barren yet covered with graffiti. We wait and wait and Frost shifts her weight over and over until the subway screeches to a halt. The doors slam open and we all rush out and into the station. I look at a map I see if we're near Times Square, where the ball drops and Sabine is performing. Then I see something.
"Uh guys?" I say, half laughing, "we took the wrong subway. We're further away from Times Square than before."