Chapter 31

Smith's POV

Sam and I immediately begin sprinting away through the jungle, stopping only once when we hear a short cry of pain from where the cave must be. We both look up at each other, our eyes meeting nervously.

"D'you think that was..." I can't bring myself to finish the sentence.

"L-Lewis?" Sam finishes it for me.

I nod.

"I-I think so..." Sam bows his head.

"We have to keep running." I say quietly, and we set off again, although somewhat slower than we were going before.

We eventually break out of the jungle and onto the beach, but we can't see anyone else anywhere.

"A-Are we safe?" I ask Sam.

"Maybe. The leopards might not want to leave their territory." Sam replies, but he doesn't sound very sure of himself, "If only we had some kind of weapon we could use..."

Suddenly, I remember what's in my pocket. "Well, I still have the lighter. It isn't really a weapon, but..."

"The rainforest would burn pretty quickly, wouldn't it... And the smoke might alert any planes flying overhead."

"Yeah. But what if the others are still in there?"

"True..." Sam bites his lip, thinking, "We can wait for a while, until we're sure they've all gotten out of the jungle."

"Okay." I agree.

It's a painfully long wait before Sam finally says, "They must be out by now. And the fire will take a while to catch on, anyway."

I slowly get up and pull out my lighter. I flick on the small flame, and go to hold it up to the brush and shrubs on the rainforest floor. Almost immediately, the fire begins spreading, the green plants quickly turning black, orange flames crawling over their surfaces.

Soon, the fire has spread to engulf whole trees. Sam and I back away towards the sea to avoid inhaling the smoke.

"Hang on..." Sam says suddenly, his face extremely worried.

"What is it?" I ask, a sense of dread rising inside me.

"Sparkles* can't run, can he? That-that means..." Sam trails off.

"Sparkles* and Parv are... Are still in there?" I ask, horrified.

Sam gives a small nod.

"Shit..." I mumble, burying my face in my hands.

"There's nothing we can do now. The fire's already out of control." Sam shakes his head.

"What the fuck have we done..."

Dun dun dunnnn!!!!