Chapter 17

Hannah's POV

I slowly begin to walk away from the others, and I can practically feel Lewis staring at me as I leave. I can't blame him for being nervous, I am too. But I have to try to get Sam back. He's obviously been really strongly affected by what happened to Martyn, and I couldn't bear to let him die out here when we could help him.

I come to an abrupt stop when I see Sam standing a short distance away from me, staring down at the bloodied knife in his hands, a look of guilt on his face. He looks up and notices me. His stance immediately changes, and he straightens up, a defensive aura about him.

"What are you doing?" He demands, crossing his arms.

"I came to... Talk to you." I reply carefully.

"Well?"

"Look, Sam... I know how hard it must have been for you to see what happened to Martyn, but... You don't have to take it out on us. We have to help each other, without working as a team we won't survive here. So, please?..." I plead.

He looks at me thoughtfully. He flicks away the blade of the knife and puts it in his pocket, to my great relief. He slowly approaches me, and I suck in a hopeful breath.

"You know... We could try to survive together. Just you and me..." He says.

What? I look at him, confused, but he just keeps moving closer, until there's only a few inches seperating us. I back away slightly, feeling extremely uncomfortable and intimidated. Then I suddenly realise what's happening. He's trying to... Seduce me. Aggressively. He knows that I have Lewis, he's doing this on purpose.

"Get the fuck away from me..." I whisper.

"You don't have to be scared," He says huskily, getting closer and closer to me.

A sudden noise behind us makes me jump and look back.

Lewis is standing there, shock and anger mingling on his face.

"Oh my god... Lewis, I swear, he's-" I start, but Lewis cuts me off.

"No. Don't even try, Hannah. How could you..."

I can't bear the hurt in his eyes, and silent tears begin rolling down my cheeks.

"That's why you were so eager to come and talk to him. I can't believe this..." His voice becomes strained as he holds back tears.

"No, please... I-I..." My voice gets higher as I try to keep in my sobs.

He just shakes his head before turning to leave.

"Please..." My voice is just a whisper as I watch him walk away.

I look at Sam, and, to my surprise, he looks somewhat guilty.

"Hannah..." He begins, but I cut him off.

"No. Don't even talk to me..." I mumble.

I walk off in the opposite direction that Lewis walked in. I can't bear to face seeing him so broken-hearted again. I keep walking until I reach an abondoned cove, and decide to settle there. I know that it's probably dangerous, but I can't bring myself to care.

Night soon sets in, and it brings with it a freezing wind. I lie amongst the long grass near the seafront, shivering as the chill sets in to my bones. I begin to quietly weep, thinking about Lewis. I can't even make myself be angry at Sam, I feel too dejected to be angry.

Eventually, I manage to cry myself to sleep.

Please don't forget to leave a comment and vote if you enjoyed this chapter :) Thanks!