Chapter 32

Parv's POV

"C'mon Sparks*, just a bit longer..." I urge him on as we stumble through the jungle together, his arm wrapped around my shoulder for support.

"Sorry..." He mumbles guiltily.

"Sparks*, there's no need to be sorry for anything, okay? Let's just get out of here." I sigh.

As we continue hurrying through the rainforest, the air suddenly begins getting really hot. Unnaturally hot.

"Is it just me, or is it really fucking hot in here?" I ask Sparkles* uneasily.

"Yeah, it is..."

We stop for a second, and I look behind us, puzzled.

"Oh shit..." I breathe. Through the trees, I can see bright orange flames consuming whole trees, fast approaching us.

Black smoke begins rushing towards us, and within seconds the air is filled with ash and smoke.

"Holy shit. Sparkles*, we have to run. Come on!"

I try to drag him along, but he shakes his head and pulls his arm from my grip.

"Parv, you know that I won't be able to make it out. Leave me here, and run."

"I'm not leaving you, and you know that." I say hastily, nervously watchng the flames approach.

"Parv, please. If you're really my friend, you would run now." He begs me.

"No! I'm not fucking leaving you here! We just lost Lewis, I'm not gonna lose you too." I say on the verge of tears.

"Parv, if you don't run now, we'll both die. If you run now, you'll survive."

"And you'll die, and I'm not letting that happen!"

"I'll die either way. Just run, please."

"Sparkles*, please don't do this to me..." I whisper, tears of fear and sorrow welling up in my eyes as the flames inch closer and closer.

"Parv, please, trust me. If you really trust me, you'll run now."

"I-I can't..."

"Parv, I don't want you to die, okay? Please just listen to me, and run."

"But... I won't be able to live with the guilt of leaving you here."

"Yes you will, because it's not your decision to leave me. It's my decision. Now, for fuck's sake, run." He says, smiling weakly at me.

I don't have the energy left to argue with him. He's right, there's no way he's gonna make it out now. I straigten up slowly.

"Sparkles*, you and Lewis are the bravest people I know. To give your lives for other people... I just..." I can't finish my sentence, partly due to the fact that I'm crying uncontrollably and partly because of the ash catching in my throat.

Sparkles* nods, "Thank you. For everything."

"I-I... Goodbye." I struggle, sobs escaping my throat.

And then the fire is here, and it's all over. I close my eyes and turn away, unable to watch my best friend being engulfed by the flames.

I stumble forwards blindly, tears running down my face. I can feel the heat of the flames behind me, but I'm too exhausted and sad to be scared. The smoke fills my lungs, making every breath a struggle, the ash gathering in my throat, slowly suffocating me.

I finally break out onto the beach, and stagger forwards onto the soft sand, choking on the ash remaining in my throat and sobbing uncontrollably, sweat and tears dripping down my face.

"Holy shit, Parv!" I hear Sam's voice coming from near me.

I look up, and see Smith and Sam coming towards me, looking extremely worried and guilty.

"Wh-where's Sparkles*?" Smith asks nervously.

More tears well up in my eyes at the mention of his name, and I hoarsely whisper, "He-he didn't get out..."

"Oh my God... This is all my fault..." Smith whispers, burying his face in his hands.

"Smith mate... Now's not the time to feel guilty, alright?" Sam awkwardly tries to console him.

"I killed him... I fucking killed him..." Smith murmurs, his voice barely audible.

"I... Look, you didn't mean to, Smith..." Sam tries.

"Either way, I killed him..." Smith says. Although his hands are still covering his face, I can tell that he's crying.

Sam doesn't reply, and a hush is brought over us, the only noise being the occasional sound of a stifled sob.

Sorry for the long wait for this chapter! I was a bit stuck for ideas, but hopefully chapters shoudl be a bit more frequent from now on! Thanks for all your comments and votes, it means a lot to me <3