Chapter 35

Simon's POV

The helicopter journey is completely silent. None of us feel up for talking; everyone is immersed in their thoughts of our dead friends.

I still find it hard to believe that they're just... Gone. In such a short amount of time, we've lost so much. It still feels so unreal; I can't bring myself to fully believe that I'll never see Trott, Ross, Martyn, Hannah or Sparkles* again. Ever. I'll never be able to laugh and joke with them, I'll never be able to hear their voices again, I'll never be able to simply talk with them.

My thoughts are suddenly interrupted by a medic coming out of the back room where Lewis is. I immediately straighten up, praying that the news is good. If it's bad, I honestly think I'll just break down.

"Your friend will be okay." The medic says simply before returning to the back room.

I let out a shaky exhale of relief, and relax back into my seat. At least Lewis will be okay. It's still not much consolation, though. Lewis won't be the same after what happened to Hannah. I don't know if he'll even be up for continuing on YouTube, it might remind him too much of Hannah...

I must have fallen asleep whilst immersed in my thoughts, as the next thing I know, Turps is gently shaking me awake, telling me that we're back in England.

I rub the sleep from my eyes and turn to look out of the window. We really are back. We made it.

We've landed almost directly in front of a hospital, and the first thing that catches my eye is the huge crowd of journalists and news reporters.

"Holy shit, are they here for us?" I ask Turps, bewildered.

"I'm afraid so." He nods grimly, "Just walk fast. We don't really want the fans to see us like this."

I get up slowly, still in a sleepy daze, and all of a sudden the helicopter doors open.

"Shit! Let's go!" Turps whispers, hurrying us out.

As soon as we leave the helicopter, we are immediately swarmed by the reporters shoving microphones in our faces and frantically asking us questions. I swat away the microphones, pushing through the crowd, trying to keep up with Turps.

I look back briefly and see that Smith is being hassled by a particularly pushy reporter, and they're having a rather loud conversation.

"How does it feel to have lost so many of your friends?"

"Look, I don't want to talk to you. Go away."

"Just answer my question."

"No."

"Come on, just answer!"

I'm just about to intervene when Smith snaps. And when Smith snaps, it's terrifying.

"Fine! You want to me answer your fucking question? I will then. I feel like absolute shit. My two best friends are dead, and I'm not. How the fuck do you think that makes me feel? I've been through absolute hell, and a part of me feels like I don't even want to be alive anymore. Is that the answer you were looking for? Is it?" Smith shouts, his eyes glinting with fury as he towers over the reporter.

By this point, the crowd has gone completely silent, all eyes on Smith. The poor reporter is helplessly looking up at Smith, lost for words.

"We've been through more shit than you will ever be through. The last thing we need is you shoving your fucking microphones and shitty insensitive questions in our faces. Leave me and my friends alone." Smith finishes, leaving the crowd stunned and speechless.

We take the chance to shove our way through and get safely into the hospital. When we're safely inside, Sjin says in awe, "That was fucking amazing, Smith."

Smith smiles sheepishly, "I kinda lost my temper..."

"Well, you helped us to get in safely. That's what matters." Turps grins.

"Yeah." I say, but then I suddenly remember something that Smith had said earlier, "Smith... You know how earlier you said that part of you felt like you didn't even want to be alive? Was that... True?"

Everyone goes quiet and looks at Smith. But before he can say anything, a bunch of doctors come over and rush us off to separate rooms to check us over.

But I still can't stop worrying about what Smith meant, and I can't shake off the feeling that it's something to do with what happened to Sparkles*...