Chapter 23

Sam's POV

I look up in confusion as a figure staggers out of the jungle, their shirt stained red. I get up and squint at them, and immediately recognise him as Sjin. Before I can call his name, he stumbles and stops, before collapsing onto the sand. What?

I begin to rush towards him, but stop abruptly when something else emerges out of the jungle. A tiger. Just like the one that killed Martyn. Rage and sorrow begin rising inside me at the memory, so I grip onto the rage and let it fuel me as I run at the tiger.

We meet head on, and I narrowly avoid a swipe from it's long claws. I use the same tactic as I did with the other tiger, and jump onto its back to tackle it onto the floor. Once it's subdued on the floor, I wrap my arms around its neck and squeeze as hard as I can, slowly strangling it. Eventually, it goes limp under me, and I immediately turn back to Sjin.

He's still curled up on the sand, breathing heavily and clutching his bloodied arm.

"Shit, are you okay?" I ask, hurrying over to him.

He shakes his head slightly, his face pale.

"Can I see your arm?" I ask gently.

He nods and lets go of his arm, wincing slightly as he does it. I can't help but reel back slightly when I see the full extent of the injury. His upper arm has been torn up by the tiger, the flesh completely ripped open. Blood is dripping down his arm, staining the skin scarlet.

"Fuck... I'll take you to the others, they'll be able to help."

"The others?" Sjin asks, his voice strained with pain.

"Duncan, Sparkles*, Lewis, Hannah, Kim, Turps and Smith. Can you stand up?" I ask.

"I think so..."

He shakily gets to his feet, putting his good arm around my shoulders for support. We slowly make our way towards the other camp. I don't really want to have to talk to the others again, but this could be a situation of life or death for Sjin, so I have no other choice.

"Thank you, Sam..." Sjin says as we slowly walk towards their camp.

I shrug, "It was nothing, anyone would have done the same."

"No, seriously. You saved my life back there."

I wave his thanks off, somewhat embarassed by this kind of praise. I notice that he appears to be getting more and more exhausted as we walk, and his arm hasn't stopped bleeding at all yet.

We finally make it to the others' camp, and everyone immediately looks up at us.

"Holy shit!" Simon exclaims, getting to his feet.

"What the fuck happened?!" Duncan asks, rushing over.

"He got attacked by a tiger." I reply, helping Sjin to sit against the foot of a palm tree.

"Shit..." Duncan says, observing the lacerations in Sjin's arm, "Those really need stitches, but for now we'll just have to clean them out and bandage them as best as we can."

Without hesitation, I pull off my shirt and rip it into strips to be used as bandages. Duncan takes them and ties them tightly around the lacerations in Sjin's arm. Sjin winces and bites his lip, but doesn't make a sound.

I look up and notice that Lewis has one arm wrapped around Hannah. That means that he must have forgiven her after seeing her with me. I never got to apologise about that... I guess I'll have to fix that now.

I clear my throat awkwardly, and both Lewis and Hannah look at me.

"Um... I just wanted to... Apologise, for earlier." I mumble, shuffling my feet in the sand.

"It's fine. There's no harm done." Lewis says, smiling.

Hannah nods in agreement, "So... Do you want to stay here? With us?"

I pause for only a second before replying, "Sure."

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from me now that I'm back with my friends, and I feel the happiest I've been since Martyn died. It seems that there is finally a flicker of hope for me.

Hey, Yognaut4Life here, just wanted to quickly apologise for the long wait fo this chapter. This past week has just been really busy for me, and I also broke my arm playing a very intense game of netball a few days ago xD Totally karma after what I did to Sjin!

Anyway, thanks for the comments and votes, you guys are awesome <3