Chapter 20

Lewis' POV

As soon as I wake up, my first thought is of Hannah. There was a bad storm last night, and she could have been caught in it. I no longer care about what happened yesterday, all I care about is making sure that she's safe. I get up and pause for a moment, wondering if I should wake someone up to come with me, but soon decide that there's not enough time for that.

I set off running towards the beach where I saw Hannah and Sam yesterday, looking around anxiously for any sign of her. I keep going until I'm in a completely unfamiliar place. I stop for a brief second to figure out where I am, and catch sight of a small cove just ahead of me. And, by the sounds of it, there's someone there.

I rush forwards, until I can just make out the form of a person kneeling on the floor. But it doesn't look like Hannah... It looks more like...

"Simon?!" I shout hopefully.

Simon looks up and replies, "Lewis!"

I suddenly notice that there's an unconscious person lying on the floor next to him, with hair of a familiar shade of blonde. Hang on...

"Oh my God, Hannah!" I exclaim, rushing towards her motionless form.

"I found her in the grass over there, it looks like she got caught up in the storm last night." Simon explains.

I drop to the floor next to Hannah, instinctively grabbing her wrist to check for a pulse. I exhale in relief when I feel the steady beat, the only thing reassuring me that she's still alive. Her eyes are lightly closed, and she must have been asleep during the storm.

"She's freezing..." I mutter to myself, lightly touching her hand.  

Her skin has gone pale from the cold, and almost appears white in the sunlight. Her lips have lost their usual pink colour, and have taken on a light blue tinge. I gently lift her still body and cradle her close to me in an attempt to warm her up. I can feel her chest rising and falling as she breathes. Slowly, so slowly.

Suddenly, I feel her stir slightly, and look down at her. Her beautiful blue eyes are open, and are staring at me with a slightly confused expression.

"Lewis," She breathes.

I nod and smile, still holding her close to me.

"I promise, I didn't do anything with Sam. He just kept getting closer to me, and-and I couldn't do anything to stop him, I swear-"

"Shh," I say, waving her explanation off, "It's okay. All that matters is that you're safe."

"You-you aren't mad at me?" She stutters, her eyes full of hope.

"Of course not. I love you too much to be mad with you."

She smiles, "I love you too."

I lift her to face level, and gently kiss her frozen lips. We stay like that until an awkward cough from Simon pulls us back to reality, and we draw apart.

"Sorry," I laugh.

"Forgiven. So, have you managed to find anyone else here?" Simon asks.

"Yeah, there's a whole bunch of us camping out on a beach just a little bit away from here. But... There's also quite a few people who... Didn't make it."

Simon sucks in a nervous breath, "Who?"

"Chris... Ross... And Martyn." I list, fighting down the sorrow inside me as I say their names.

"Chris... Ross... Martyn..." Simon repeats quietly, coming to grips with it.

"We've got Smith with us, but he's obviously... Not himself, after what happened to Chris and Ross."

Simon nods, somewhat dazed by all this news. We set off back towards camp, with me carrying Hannah bridal style as I explain to Simon everything that's happened since we crash-landed here.

So much shit has gone down.