three

⌜ chapter three ⌟

"What was that? Hm?" Inej questions as she looks at Kaz; he puts away his pocket watch. "You want to tell me?"

"You'll have to be more specific." He tells her as he starts going through the things on his desk.

"It was one thing when we had at least a week to find a way across the Fold, but sunrise? We have to say no."

"No."

"That's a no to the job then?"

"That's a no to saying no." He says as he looks up at her.

"We can't go!"

"Can't we?" He questions, and she straightens her arm to pull up the sleeve, revealing what seems to be a tattoo on the inside of her right wrist.

"I can't go." She tells him.

"You will." He says as he continues with what he's doing. "I have a plan."

"No, you don't."

"Inej."

"I've worked for you long enough to know when you are still figuring things out." She tells him, and he looks back at her. "And you don't know how to pull off this job."

"I still have six hours, and right now, you aren't helping."

"Maybe you crack out to find a way across, but that doesn't solve this problem, does it!" She snaps as she holds her wrist in front of him. "Or maybe now you're planning to replace me with her!"

"I feel like I shouldn't be here for this conversation." Arya says as she gets to her feet. "I'll just go into the other-"

"No!" Kaz yells as he glances her way, and she rolls her eyes as she sits back where she was before. "If I can't crack this, no one's going anywhere." He tells Inej.

"If you do?"

"Then maybe you stay here." He snaps as he looks at her again, and she looks genuinely taken aback.

"Maybe I won't be here when you get back." She takes a step away from his desk and then turns around and leaves.

"Inej! Inej!" He calls after her, but finds that she's already gone.

Arya looks over at Kaz, seeing his head drop because he knows that he messed up. She can see that he genuinely cares for her, and what he just said really hurt her.