ten

⌜ chapter ten ⌟

"Get her out of here!" The man across the table from Arya yells, and she smiles as she collects her winnings from their card game.

The brunette walks away from the table, chuckling to herself as she straightens the bills in her hand. She stops when she hears footsteps coming up in front of her, and then she sees legs clad in black before the thin cane settles on the floor beside his right foot.

Arya looks up at Kaz, her smile widening when she sees his hair combed back in the absence of the black beret from earlier. "There he is." She says, and he smirks as he glances behind her.

"Making friends, I see."

"I think he quite likes me." She looks over her shoulder, and the man glares when he catches sight of the two of them.

"How much did you make?" Kaz asks, and she holds the money out toward him. He takes it, quickly counting it out. "You tripled what I gave you."

"What? You thought I made an honest living before I met you?" Arya shakes her head, and his smirk grows the smallest bit.

"And the other thing I asked of you?"

The brunette takes a deep breath as she jerks her head in the opposite direction than where she came from. "He's talking to the locals...and driving me insane." She tells him as he then looks over at Arken. "Would it be wrong if I stabbed him?" She asks as she returns her gaze to Kaz.

"We still need him." He says, and she rolls her eyes. "What's he doing?"

"Finding every opportunity he can tell me why my plan won't work." She says. "He says that I can't possibly help you get inside the palace because I'm not from your world. I don't know enough about the kingdom or understand the Grisha and what they're capable of."

"Why would he be trying to get under your skin?"

"Because he wants me to stab him."

"Who are we stabbing?" Jesper asks as he walks over to them with Inej.

"Nobody." Kaz says as Arya looks at the two new arrivals.

"Arken." The brunette tells him. "Arrogant jackass."

"Hm." Jesper looks back at Arya then. "I have more questions."

"Of course you do." She chuckles as he leads her toward the bar. "What's on your perverted mind now?"