sixteen

⌜ chapter sixteen ⌟

Kaz empties his pockets, leaving its contents on a wooden platform in front of him. The only thing of any real value to them is the rest of the money that Arya won playing cards in Kribirsk.

"Is this all we have left?" Inej asks, but they don't answer her. She groans as she then lifts her shirt and looks down at the wound to her torso. "Jesper, my bag."

He grabs what she asked for and then turns back to her; he gags when he sees her peeling the bandage from the bloody wound. "Mother of Saints..."

"I guess that means I can't ask you for help." Ayra looks up at him, shaking her head when she sees him covering his mouth with his hand.

"Help you with what?" Jesper asks as he looks at where she's sitting on a bail of hay.

"I need to take care of the cut to my leg and check my side, but I'm kinda down to one hand...and it's not my better one." She explains as Inej sits beside her and leans back to check her own wound.

"I can help you." Kaz says, and her jaw tightens as she looks down.

"I'll manage." Arya mutters. "Can I borrow a knife?" She asks, and Inej looks over at her.

"You're not gonna stab him, are you?" Jesper asks, and she looks up with narrowed eyes.

"No."

"What happened to the one I gave you?" Inej asks, and the other girl seems to freeze for a moment before taking a deep breath.

"I dropped it...after I killed the man who came after me. He was one of the Grisha who controls air."

"A Squaller."

"Whatever." Arya mumbles. "He said that Kirigan wanted me alive, and he was supposed to take me back... Arken told Kirigan that I'm not from this world, and I guess he wants to know how I got here. But I wasn't interested in being taken captive, so I... I'd never killed anyone before; not a human." She looks down, eyes glassy.

"It was self-defense, Arya." Jesper says. "You were only protecting yourself."

"I'll help you as soon as I'm finished here." Inej tells her. "My side isn't healing on it's own, I need to stitch it." She says, and Arya only nods.

"How long before you can travel?" Kaz asks them.

"Not long." Inej says as she looks up at him. "Where?"