thirteen

⌜ chapter thirteen ⌟

"So..." Jesper smiles as he looks down at Arya. "Three days alone with Kaz. What happened?"

"You know damn well nothing happened." She says as she looks around at all of the people wandering around outside.

"Someone sounds a little bitter about that." He says, and her eyes narrow as she looks back at him.

"Do you enjoy living in your world of delusions?"

"You can't lie to me." He shakes his head. "I see the way you two look at each other."

"Your point?" She questions, and his eyes narrow the slightest bit as he studies her face.

"You really do like him, don't you?" He asks, his smile falling from his face, but it's then that she sees Kaz walking up behind him.

"Aw, come on. Another weird hat?" Arya shakes her head. "Just can't catch a break."

"You didn't have any trouble getting in?" Kaz asks, and she smirks as she shakes her head again.

"Piece of cake." She tells him. "I couldn't get us into the palace without being seen, but it was easier just getting onto the grounds. Especially with so many different people milling about."

"Good. Where's Inej?" He asks as he glances around them. "And Arken?"

"Arken's at the carriage." Jesper tells him. "And Inej is-"

"Right here." She gets their attention as she makes her way over. "We better hurry, before we're expected where we're meant to be performing."

"Come on then." Kaz then leads the way to where Jesper told him Arken is, and the five sit inside the carriage to go over the plan for today.

"This should be interesting." Arya smirks as she looks at Jesper, who's sitting directly to her right, and he chuckles as his gaze meets hers.

"Here's the plan." Kaz starts. "We'll walk the route our target will take from the ballroom to the dinner event and look for an ambush point. There is a gap in the schedule between events, so they may place her in a room here, away from the crowd, somewhere safe. This would be where they feel she's most protected and therefore, the best place to grab her. We just need to find a way in. And have someone ready with a distraction to give us cover on our way out. That's where we grab her."

"Let's get to it then." Arya says. "After seeing the outside of this place, I want to see inside."

"Hoping to find something else to steal?" Jesper smirks. "Do you have expensive taste? Like your dress? Where'd you get it anyway?"