The Chosen Ones

The school was filled with nothing but excitement and anxiety, more of the latter rather than the former. It was the day that the chosen students for the infamous Fall Selection would be posted, and everyone was hoping to get in. The entire student body ran to the main campus announcement board, waiting for the white sheet to be pulled off and reveal the names of the chosen few.

Finally, the sheets were torn off and the names were revealed, resulting in several cheers of joy and sobs of sorrow.

The Yukihira twins were also in the group of people waiting to be selected, watching their reactions as they were either selected for the honor, or passed over completely.

"These are the names of those who were picked to be in the selection." Shun explained.

Hikari and Soma looked up, immediately seeing their names on the roster with the rest of the Kyokusei Dorm members.

Yuki shouted in relief and excitement while Ryoko tried to calm her down, and Megumi was panicking like always.

"Hey!" Soma shouted walking up to the friends that were chosen, "Did you guys get selected, too?"

"Sure did." Megumi said with Hikari hugging her in congratulations.

"Even before a Food War!" A voice shouted from behind the twins. They turned around and saw Takumi Aldini standing there with a confident smile on his face, "I've been given the chance to battle both of you directly."

Hikari acknowledged the blonde boy, but Soma was a little occupied with talking to Ikumi who was standing nearby.

"Hey, Meat-Meat, did you make the cut?" He asked her.

"Uh, yeah. I take it you did, too?" Ikumi asked.

"Oh, and good luck to you, Takumi."

"Wha--! I don't need you to placate me you piece of crap!" Takumi shouted, but then felt a tight grip on his shoulder. He remembered that grip all too well. He turned to his right and saw his brother laughing at the red haired girl that clutched his shoulder with a sweet but terrifying smile on her face.

"Now, now, Takumi. Say all the encouraging things you want to anyone else...." He looked straight into Hikari's eyes, seeing his doom within them, "But if you say anything like that to my brother again, I'll kick you so hard that your head will fly around the globe at least three times before finally landing back home in Italy. Am I clear?"

Takumi gulped down his fear, not all of it, but some of it, "Crystal, ma'am."

Hikari chuckled and pat his shoulder before running back to her brother's side.

"Hey everybody!" A voice shouted from the sky. It was amazing how no one had seen the lift and the crane, but there it was. High in the sky, Urara Kawashima was standing in a little pink basket with a big, fake, smile on her face, "Good Afternoon!" She greeted with a sickly sweet voice.

"You guys ready for the Fall Selection? I will be your acting MC for this battle! I'm Urara Kawashima! Hello!"

Hikari groaned and leaned against her brother, "Serious, big brother, if she doesn't stop acting like some kind of little kid, I'm gonna puke out my soul."

"I know, I know, sis, but be patient. You could always turn up the power on your hearing aids." Soma said and immediately Hikari turned her hearing aids up to almost full power, that way she couldn't hear anything. But for some reason she could still hear the male students cheering out her name and the female students cursing it.

"Congratulations to those who were awesome enough to make the final cut." Urara announced, "If you'll take a quick look at the sign up board, you'll see that the sixty of you who were chosen have been split up into groups A and B. Each block will have their own round of preliminaries, first A and then B. The top contestants from each block will earn the right to compete in the actual tournament event!"