Soma vs. Eishi Pt. 2

Soma took out his meat for the dish, slicing off all of the muscle with great precision with his newfound determination to win this battle.

"All right, I've trimmed off all the muscle." Soma announced.

"Look at that protein he has." Erina said as she, Hisako and Megumi watched from outside the room, "I think... I think that's leg meat."

"He chose leg meat?" Megumi repeated as they watched while Soma minced up onions and garlic, "He's prepared minced onion and garlic, and now he's just letting it sit for a bit. That will make it soft and give it that extra flavor he's been wanting."

"But he's up against the very best. The number one seat on the Ten: Eishi Tsukasa." Hisako said, "There's no way he can fight him with just using conventional methods."

Erina watched the battle with a calculating gaze, hoping deep down inside that Soma would win against the White Knight of the table.

"Soma Yukihira, if you lose then you'll have to become a member of Central. And... if that happens...." She thought to herself, thinking of the worst thing that could happen to Soma, not to mention his sister if he didn't win this battle.

Just then, Soma's eyes widened when he remembered something.

"Oh, that's right. I have to get that out." He said, rushing over to his bag of ingredients.

"Got a little secret up your sleeve, Soma?" Eishi playfully asked as Soma continued digging.

"There's just one more ingredient that I need."

"And... it's in your bag?"

Soma dug through his bag, flinging snack after snack from its contents.

"Ahaha! This will do the trick. Some shelled sweet chestnuts!" He boasted as he pulled out the snack from his bag with a big smile on his face.

Megumi and Hisako gasped in shock and confusion, while Erina just looked on in confusion.

"He plans to use those in his dish?" Hisako exclaimed, thinking of the small little crafts Japanese kids used to make out of those snaks.

"So, what the heck are those things, Megumi? That shelled ingredient." Erina asked.

"Oh, well, it's a snack of shelled chestnuts he had in his bag."

"Chestnuts? That's actually a good ingredient." Erina said as Soma began boiling the chestnuts in a small pot, "It's a great match for wild game and it's not an uncommon pairing in French cooking."

"But even so, that's still just a snack bag he pulled out. I don't see how this could turn out well at all." Hisako said.

Eishi took his meat from the heat and placed it on the counter, then covered it with a steel bowl, much to Soma's curiosity.

"What, this?" Eishi said noticing his opponent's gaze on the bowl, "Turn off the heat for a little bit, cover the protein with a bowl and let it rest. The steam builds up within the bowl and slowly transfers to the meat. Then, once it's reheated in the oven, it will be done."

"Oh wow, I get it. That's really interesting." Soma said intrigued by the new information, "Thanks a lot, I didn't learn any of that from Chef Kojiro."

"You know, you and your sister are quite bizarre people, Soma."

"Really, thanks I guess. I'm sure my sister would appreciate the compliment."

"I'm sure about your plan. Experimental ingredients don't always make a good dish. But what would I know? I'm just the number one seat on the Ten."