The Final Round

The air was still. The audience quiet as they watched the four finalists taking out their ingredients. Ryo, Akira and Hikari pulled out their fish with ease, showing off their clean scales and magnificent shine. However, for Soma.... 

His was covered in a strange brown substance. Hikari smirked as the audience stared at Soma's saury, she knew exactly what her older brother had planned to do.

"I understand now." Akira said, "Must be why you didn't show up at the fish market this morning, Soma."

"So, you chose to age your own fish to make up for the lacking qualities in your fish. Bold move, big brother." Hikari said.

"Why thank you, Hikari." Soma chuckled.

"Nice try, but I could tell what you used the second I looked at your pathetic little fish." Ryo said with a bite in his tone, "It's not going to be enough. You won't be able to match a fresh seasonal ingredient."

"Yeah, well, you can't really know that without eating it, can you?" The twins said at once.

"But don't worry, I made enough for you guys as well, including you, little sis." Soma said.

"You can talk all you want. The competition's already been decided." Ryo said turning back to his station.

"Congratulations coming in fourth. That's still plenty to be proud of." Akira said in a mocking congratulatory tone.

"Wait, so who's gonna be in third?" Hikari asked, confused as to why Akira said that her brother would be in fourth place. 

"Oh? I thought you would be able to beat your brother and come in third." Akira smiled, "Good luck, Hikari."

Before Hikari could say anything else, Isshiki's voice rang through the stadium.

"Ladies and gentlemen." He announced, "It seems that the time has come. Let the finals of the Fall Selection begin. Turn your attention to the ceiling."

Everyone in the stadium looked up at the ceiling just as it parted and revealed the starry night sky and the full moon shining over everyone inside the stadium.

"Very soon now, everyone. We shall witness the Celestial Room's true form." Isshiki said, "Cooking time for the challenge will be two hours. It will last from when the moon appears upon you until it vanishes from sight. It will be a night of cooking under the stars."

Hikari looked up at the beautiful moon, as she tied her long red hair up into a ponytail with her headband. Her opponents all prepared as well, tying on their headbands and rolling up their sleeves. This was it. The final battle to see who was the best of the best in the Fall Selection.

"LET THE COOKING BEGIN!" The Headmaster announced and the final round began.

Each of the final contestants stood at their stations, preparing everything but their fish.

"Interesting." Dojima said as he watched the students cook, "None of the contestants have reached for their saury, but instead are prepping their other ingredients. Playing by the book, huh?"

"They each seem to understand that needless handling will lead to a decrease is freshness." Headmaster Nakiri stated, "Not wanting to ruin it, they must maintain as much of that freshness as possible."

Leonora chuckled with excitement, "I find that I am becoming quite excited in here. There is no better sight than wanting such handsome young men playing with their swords. And watching Lille Lys cook again, it is very fascinating, yes?"

"Goodness mother, that was extremely lewd of you." Alice said smiling with her mother, "And also, your vocab is a bit off. Also--"

"Alice!" Erina shouted at her cousin, "Go back to your stupid seat already."