22

A few days later, things seemed to be normal but lonelier. Jeno still attended practices and did his best. He seemed unbothered but he is. He was just good at keeping a straight face, making more intimidating. Every day, after practice, he would also pass by the shop and check on Renjun.

So far, the omega looked happy and fine. The alpha never felt eager in his life, wanting to talk to Renjun but he won't be able to until he does the favor.

"Okay, gather up!" their coach called after the practice, "All of you are excused until the exams, but in return, we'll grinding on the weekends. Might as well make the most of it, this might be someone's last tournament in this team. Until further notice, everyone will be competing. You can go and start work your asses off."

Everyone left the place and were in a hurry to go home. Yangyang came up to ask him if he wants to grab a snack but Jeno said no. He wanted to do his best this semester.

Jeno has been constantly studying though, but neither one of those days was him focusing on it. He felt frustrated and he doesn't know if he can really pass the exams. For a day, they were excused for reviewing. The alpha thought he should be in the library so he is right now. He wouldn't be able to focus if he's alone in his unit--too quiet and suffocating. Also, he doesn't want to go home yet.

He didn't think he could be in this place again, but with a different reason. He usually goes to libraries to sleep or doesn't want to attend classes sometimes. Right now, he's scanning several aisles of the big public library, trying to find books that could help him with the lessons.

He turned his phone off and cleared his mind. The alpha sat where the table' near by the window, wanting a bit of sunlight. Jeno sighed and hoped that he'll absorb something from being here.

Jaemin sighed and yawned after he took his exams for the day. He's done with this semester and it felt good. He would've spent his whole semestral break working at the pet store but it seemed like it won't happen this time. He figured that he might just spend his time being at the apartment, or better yet, go and visit his parents.

Thinking about something he likes to do when he has free time, he thought about going to a nearby library to borrow a book or buy one in the bookstore. Well, who knows? He's quite an indecisive person. Maybe whatever's nearer.

He went to pass by the pet shop. He wasn't thinking about trying to walk in and apologize to Renjun. His esteem is low at the moment so he might as well keep what's left. Jaemin was fine just checking if the omega's alright. From where he's standing, Renjun seemed to be enjoying. He's still smiling. As much as he wants to explain, he can't blame Renjun for acting like this.

A beta and an alpha childishly fight for a mate is something that doesn't have much of a reason to tell. If him and Jeno proves that they can get along, then they could show how sorry they are to Renjun.

The beta then went on his way towards what seems to be the library. Jaemin pushed the doors, passing by a few students. He walked in and made his way to the aisle where mostly the novels are. Of course, he'll read a novel--not a textbook or anything that has a connection with academics.

It took him some time reading the summary behind every book he's interested in. Once he grabbed two books, he decided to stick with them. He went towards the librarian and asked if he could borrow them before she prepared the card. While she was busy, Jaemin looked around and his eyebrows furrowed when he saw someone familiar.

"Jeno...?"

When the librarian finished and gave him the card, Jaemin fought to himself if he'll avoid the alpha or not. He was anxious that he immediately went out of the building. What will he even do if he goes and meet him? Maybe...say hi?

"Too awkward, Jaemin," he whispered to himself before he sighed and thought of something else.

He's trying to find a warm spot and he's still blind about it. Jaemin just decided that maybe this is his time to try and know him better. Also, maybe it's Jeno's exam week. Maybe he could help.

Walking back into the library, the beta made his way towards the alpha. His heart was pounding but snapped himself out of it. It's just Jeno...

It's just Jeno.

The alpha seemed to be too immersed on the studying that he didn't notice the beta coming his way. Jeno just jolted when someone dragged and sat on the chair. He was surprised to see Jaemin.

"H-Hey...I just saw you when I borrow these, so I thought to approach you," the beta uttered, placing the books on the table and his bag on his lap with an awkward smile.

The alpha doesn't know what to say so he just nodded, feeling a bit hesitant that his words might sound like he's in a bad mood.

"What...What are you doing?" Jaemin asked, trying to keep up a conversation.

Jeno hummed, "Studying for exams tomorrow."

The beta slowly nodded, his hands fidgeting under the table, "Do you need any help?"

"You're a culinary arts major, right? I don't know if you know anything about business," the alpha said.

Jaemin shrugged, "We can always try. I studied entrepreneurship. I might help."

Jeno raised an eyebrow at him, "You are a smartass, huh?"

The beta rolled his eyes, "And who told you that?"

Jeno sighed, "Who else? Renjun."

There were a few seconds of silence. Both of them just misses the omega that just hearing his name made them think about him.

"...What do you have troubles in?" Jaemin asked, changing the subject. He grabbed a book on Jeno's side and started flipping on the pages.

The alpha looked back at him, "You're doing this for Renjun?"

The beta stopped and looked back, "I am helping you, if you forgot. We need to get along, don't we?" he answered then went back on flipping the book's pages.

Jeno didn't say anything. He gave Jaemin a look for a few seconds before he sighed and went back on studying. Something about his words don't feel right.