Chapter 7

4 years ago, continued...

Lucy

Chris and I follow Tommy into his bedroom where he quickly takes his blue prize ribbon and holds it up proudly. He doesn't say anything, but that smile says it all. And it melts my heart.

"I am such a proud big sister!" I say, holding my arms out to him.

He gladly embraces me, something he doesn't do with anyone else except our mom.

"You're a smart kid! Even I don't know much about space," Chris says, looking around at Tommy's room, which is decked out in all things space; from the galaxy themed wallpaper to the rocket ship lamp on the nightstand next to his bed- which is covered in stars and planets.

Tommy gives Chris a look that I know all too well. He's talked to Chris a few times over video calls, but I knew things would be different face to face. Tommy is autistic and has a lot of difficulty with social interaction.

That's why I've taken the time to study up on autism and its associated behaviors. Tommy is the whole reason I majored in Special Education. I want to connect with others the way I connect with Tommy. I want them to feel like they matter and are understood.

I smile when I notice Chris watching me. He smiles back, but it's a different kind of smile; one that makes my heart flutter.

"Tommy is an expert in all things space, aren't you, Tommy," I grin, putting my hand on his shoulder. "He even helped me study for my science test my senior year of high school. Remember that?"

Tommy smiles proudly. "You made the highest grade in your class."

"Thanks to you," I say, ruffling his hair.

"So you're good at science, huh?" Chris asks Tommy.

Tommy's smile suddenly fades as he looks to Chris. He doesn't respond, of course. Chris looks to me as if he doesn't have a clue what to do next. Thankfully, mom calls us back into the dining room for dinner.

We sit around the table, Chris and I on one side and mom and Tommy on the other, with my dad at the head of the table. For a long while, no one really says much. The silence seems to build up a tension around us, like shaking a soda bottle. Once the cap is removed, shit will surly hit the fan. As a matter of fact, I can already see the storm brewing in my mother's eyes.

Dad shovels his food into his mouth in a hurry, ready to leave the table first, as usual. Ever since he got so involved with work, he's always seemed to hate this mandatory family time. He's hardly ever around for dinner, but when he is, it's not hard to tell he doesn't want to be here.

"Honey, aren't you going to speak to Chris?" mom asks, with an almost bitter tone to her voice.

Dad sighs, not bothering to hide his frustration. "It's nice to meet you, Chris. How did you and Lucy meet?"

"Well, we met at school, sir," Chris replies.

His petrified tone makes me giggle to myself. I've never seen him so nervous.

"Oh. You don't seem like the college type-"

"Dad!" I gasp in disbelief.

"Are you serious?!" mom huffs.

Dad shrugs as of his offensive statement is no big deal. "You know Lucy. She always did like the...simple ones."

My mouth drops open in disbelief, but before I can speak, Chris comes to his own defense.

"I'm actually an international business major. I have a 4.0 GPA and I speak four different languages."

"Wow, impressive!" mom smiles