Chapter 29

Present Day

Lucy

It seems like these days, all I think about is how I ended up where I am today. Every story, whether it starts off good, bad, funny or sad ends in me going back to that dreadful night when my already messed up life got shaken to the core.

Looking back, there were so many signs I missed that would've led me right to the conclusion that my mother was unstable. I've refused to believe or even acknowledge those signs until now, when I have no choice but to acknowledge them.

My father's death was no accident. Whether it was planned or not, I still don't know. He was a terrible husband and a lousy father, but after their divorce, I thought my mom would start to be happy again, like she used to be when I was a kid. I thought things would change, and I guess they did. A lot. Just not the way I wanted them to.

I'm meeting with my lawyer today and I've already decided I'm going to tell him everything. My mother needs help and pretending that she's okay will only perpetuate the problem. I'm perpetuating the problem.

Chris and I have been sitting in the lobby for quite some time, neither of us having very much to say. We haven't been sleeping a whole lot, so we're both exhausted. We're both out of work for now. Yet Chris has been so good to me. Nothing is ever too much for him. He's shouldering his own burdens while shouldering mine too.

I lean over and rest my head on him. He wraps his arm around me and kisses the top of my head. "Are you okay?" he asks.

"As okay as I can be," I answer quietly.

He runs his fingers through my hair and for just a few seconds, I pretend everything is fine in my life. There's nothing to worry about, nothing to fear, no guilt to hold onto. It's just me and Chris.

It's amazing how powerful the mind can be. Just clearing it for a few seconds has made me feel just a little more alive. It makes me realize I can't wallow in misery or run away from my past. I've got to face this head on. And I've got to do it truthfully.

The secretary finally calls us back and leads us into the office of Handley Henderson, one of the most feared and respected lawyers in the state of New York. We take a seat in front of his desk, waiting for him to end the phone call he's on in the next room.

When he walks out, I'm taken by surprise. He's quite good looking. I've seen his face all over Manhattan for years, but seeing him in person, it's like meeting a celebrity.

"Good morning, Miss Sunday, Mr. Myers," he smiles, shaking each of our hands. "Can I get you anything to drink? Water, juice, coffee?"

"No, thank you," I reply.

Wow, he looks like a slightly less attractive Chris Hemsworth. It's almost distracting.

"Miss Sunday, I know this has been a rough time for you. You have my word that I will do everything within my power to defend you should you be charged. First things first, let's start with the details. I need to know what happened that night, and don't leave anything out. Anything you say to me is protected by attorney-client privilege."

I nod, blowing out a breath. Chris takes my hand and gives it a squeeze, and for the first time in a while, I let my mind go back to that night.

1 1/2 years ago

Staten Island, New York

"Lucy, hi! Thank you so much for coming!" Dad says, letting me into the house.

"It's good to finally see you again after..." I trail off when I see mom's friend, Christy, sitting on the sofa next to the fireplace.

The short black dress she's wearing makes it seem as if her visit isn't exactly friendly. She sips her wine elegantly, keeping her posture perfect, the way my mom would. I guess dad has a thing for the prim and proper types.