Chapter Eighteen: Home...?

She glided on the wind, staring at the world below. It was amazing what she saw when she left the village! Endless, shimmery desert with patches of leafy not-eatables that were supposed to be eatable; she knew them to be yellow, or so believed (it was actually green). She crossed an expanse of swaying, churning, frothing water bigger than even the big river. She soared over more desert, and then places with lots of yellow-topped things that didn't taste very good.

        She flew on through the day and the night, until the sun began to peer over the horizon once more. She dove, rocketing toward the ground and coming to a halt in a tree. There she rested, eating some bread and then sleeping with the blanket. Her dreams were filled with the pulsating, strong desire to find the lady with the yellow-and-other hair in the Big Lots-of-People place. It was really far from home, but because she lacked friends or family, there was really no home to speak of. She simply lived in that town; home she had yet to find.

        In the afternoon she woke up, stretched, ate an apple, and took to the skies again. She crossed sweeping deserts, rocky ground and cracked earth, and mountains that pierced the heavens. Their smooth, stony gray expanse made her sigh in awe. There were so many colors she didn't know! And as she flew over the mountains tall and broad and sweet, cold wind whipped her around. She shivered for the first time from the cold. She saw white, sweet stuff. She tried to avoid the mountain tops from now on; she wasn't used to the cold.

        She saw jungles for the first time, too. Thick, leafy yellow not-eats that were supposed to be eatable stretched before her, inlaid with hundreds of flowers like jewels in a rainbow of colors she didn't know the name to. Birds cawed and crowed at her. She crossed dozens of villages, even Big Scary Places with lots of people, but never did she land. As she passed over the Big Lots-of-People places, she'd get a negative response. Just how many of them were there, anyway? Too many to count.

        She slept from morning to afternoon, and then flew the entire time afterward. Her journey took her across another, even bigger stretch of water. And then, she saw land; a piece of land miniscule in comparison to all the land she'd seen. Her gut drew her to it, and she glided over mountains and rolling fields of yellow (green) and dozens of leaves and people. She saw so many things, smelled so many smells. She almost hit a flying tube winged thing, spiraling out of the way in a racket of fear. She wanted to give chase, but the feeling inside her persisted. She was close. The images invaded her waking eyes now.

        She glided over another Tall-Tower place in the late day, but this time was different. She felt an overwhelming, mouth-drying, attention-gripping positive force pounding from within. She looked down at the colorful array of buildings. She saw an expanse of yellow, and tucked her wings close, diving for it.

        She landed on the arm of one of the yellow-topped things, retracting her wings. She was out of food, and finally in the big tower place. She swung her legs as she sat on the branch, staring with wide eyes. Water fountained from a big source of water. The yellow stuff on the ground was short and lush-looking. Birds twittered, cars roared, a cacophony of sensations she'd never experienced hit her full force.

        Her nose drew her to a hole in the tree. She peeked inside, stretching a hand in and fondling around. She found a squishy box material, withdrawing it. She sniffed; there was liquid food inside.

        Better than nothing, she thought, jabbing a hole into the box.

        ===================

        Asuiri showed up at the park late that day, hoping to snag a juice box before meeting up with Ki-Ki. Ki-Ki, his sweet little penguin, whom he adored. His plans, however, were snagged when he saw a rather chubby girl perched on his branch. She was drinking one of his icey Strawberry-Kiwi juice boxes. Two more littered the ground at her feet. He picked them up and chucked them forlornly into the trash, unnoticed by her. With stealth, he climbed up into the branch above her, before dropping his head down beside her. She whipped around to face him, sandy blonde hair and very light purple eyes and tan skin with little black swirls on her cheeks.