Chapter Thirty-Three: Breakfast with Harune

Axel dove for the sausage, taking several links, as well as pancakes. Everyone served themselves, customizing their dishes as they pleased. Axel assisted Malice in preparing her food, Shizira specifying that no you can't eat everything. Said mentioned ravenette was busy politely cutting in to a pancake dusted with sugar, taking a bite. Everything, as Harune had made mention, was cooked deliciously. Kiria thought so, anyway. The pancakes were certainly fluffy, the proper sweetness. Harune made for the strawberries, taking a few. He bit into one, and then wiped the juice from his chin.

        "Very delicious, sir. Thank you," Kiria added after the pause in which everyone began eating and were too preoccupied to make discussion.

        "I'll say," Harune commented. "These strawberries are perfect. Special-ordered, Han?"

        "Only the best for you, Haru," Han returned, taking a bite of potato. Shizira swallowed a bit of milk and looked at her father.

        "How was the trip?"

        "The visit to San Francisco was cut short because of an influx of hotel rentals, and we managed to complete our agenda early. So I came home early. New York is quite lovely this time of year, and San Francisco was very warm. They have high-quality fish there."

        "I'd bet. And of New York?"

        "Still the classy Big Apple, Shibi. I'm allowed to call you Shibi, right, in front of your friends? Or is that too embarassing?"

        "No-no, it's fine. Was the eating good?"

        "It was excellent. I ate this gorgeous pasta dish in York, but enough about food. That's your stomach asking questions."

        Shizira giggled. "Sorry. American food just seems so... ya know."

        "Intriguing, I know."

        "So, visit any interesting places?"

        "Well," Harune tapped a fork against his plate. "I visited the bay in San Francisco, as well as several museums, Angel Island Park, and - oh! We saw Alcatraz. As for New York... we went to Times Square, the statue of Liberty, the Guggenheim, and the 9/11 Memorial. All very amazing places, assuredly breath-taking. What do you know about the Statue of Liberty, Shibi?"

        "Ugh, history," the ravenette groaned. "Wasn't it made by, like, a Spanish-man?"

        "French."

        "Father~, you know I don't like history unless it's magic history!"

        "History will be fated to repeat itself unless you learn it, Pumpkin," her father answered, glancing at Kiria. "Have you ever been to America, Kiria?"

        "Yes, actually, w-we lived there for a while."

        Harune placed his fork down, eyes wide. "Are you kidding? Amazing! What made you pick up roots and change to Japan?"

        Kiria exchanged an uncomfortable look with Axel and squirmed in her seat. "... Our father died, sir."

        "That is a terrible shame, Kiria!" Harune rose from his chair and walked over, placing a warm hand on Kiria's shoulder. He leaned close. "If you ever need a father, then you can ask of me anything. Even if I'm not around, I still do everything in my power for my precious Shibi, and if you need anything of me then you may only ask. I'd be more than happy to. Alright?"

        "A-Alright." His presence left, and he reseated himself at the head of the table. Harune took another bite of strawberry, and then ate some toast.