Chapter Thirty-Eight: Mouth-Kissies?

"Shi-zi-raaaa," Malice spoke into the phone. "Be here and... um... food with group friends!"

"Gimme that," Axel demanded. Malice handed over the phone without question."Hey, Shizira. We want to invite you over for dinner. It's just ramen, not really anything that special, but Asuiri's over, and we didn't want you to feel left out or anything."

"Thanks, but I'm busy right now. And, uh, tell Kiria to come over later to pick up some stuff she left here," Shizira replied. Axel found her voice to sound very scratchy. Not so scratchy that it didn't sound like her, but more like sick scratchy.

"Are you sick or something? What's up with your voice?" Axel blurted out. Wait, that sounded really rude. Shit. How the hell do you take something like that back?

"Ah... a bit actually." Good. She didn't seem to notice. That, or she had gotten used to it.

"Oh. Okay. Um... I'll tell Kiria, alright?"

"Okay. Thanks for the invite, I appreciate it. "

"No prob. Bye." And with that, she hung up.

"Shizira food group friends?" Malice asked, leaning over the couch.

"No, Shizira's busy right now. And Kiria," she called, getting her sisters attention. "Shizira wants you to stop by and get something."

"What kind of s-something?" Kiria asked. "I don't remember asking her for anything or leaving anything there."

"She didn't say, she only said she wanted you to get something. Oh, and she's a little sick just so you know."

============================================

A little while later, Kiria was walking to Shizira's house by herself. It was getting darker, and a few street lights came on. The darker it got, the flashier the whole city got. That was the one thing Kiria enjoyed about the city; it was so light and colorful, even at night. It was a shame, though, that no stars could be seen because of those beautiful lights. 

Kiria pulled the hood of her sweatshirt up. Her ears were freezing, and so was her back. God dammit, she really needed to stitch together the two giant holes in the back of it.

She pulled up the straps to her backpack, carrying the weight of Raviel's rock and her deck inside. A gust of wind nearly pushed her into the street. Something wasn't right in the air, something ominous lingered...

"Raviel," Kiria whispered loudly. "Be on guard. Something's not right."

 "So you feel it too, Mistress."

"Yeah... woah!" Another gust of wind pushed her over and into the middle of the road. She screamed and hit her head hard, laying in the middle of the street, unconscious.

The first thing Kiria noticed when she woke was it was raining, and its freezing cold soaked right through her sweatshirt. The second was the throbbing pain in her head. She tried to sit up and failed, hand slipping when she put weight on it, and she hit her chin. Hard.

It hurt. So bad. A sob escaped her lips, and a few more did as well, until it soon became full-out bawling. Her head pounded, her chin was probably bleeding along with her tongue, she was freezing, and she had no idea what time it was. And to top it all off, she was still in the middle of the damned street.

Sitting up again and half-dragging, half-walking herself to the sidewalk, she collapsed. She nearly fainted again.

She heard a noise. She couldn't comprehend what she heard, but it was coming closer. She wept more, her head pounding harder. She felt herself be lifted up, and something soft touch the side of her face that didn't hurt. More noise.