Chapter Twenty-Eight: Magic, Now With Books!

"So what do I need, anyway, Shizira?" Kiria questioned as they shuffled away from the check-out counter towards the shelves filled with rows upon rows of various boxes, tins, and even a few racks flowing with tiny potted plants.

        "Basics, mainly. Things like acacia and sandalwood, Adder's tongue, bamboo, barley, camphor and cinammon... a variety of things. Hey, Anzeka!"

        "Aye?!"

        "Do you have a basket or something to put all these in?"

        "Why didn't you grab one before, you Crow-haired imbecile?!"

        "Thanks for nothing!" Shizira vanished, appearing moments later with a blue plastic basket swinging from her arm by metal handles. Shizira led Kiria and Malice down the aisle, pausing before different cases. She'd pick up a box, inspect the labels on it, and then explain it to Kiria herself. The river of knowledge bashing Kiria in the brain was a little nauseating, but Kiria kept a tight grip and managed to pay attention dutifully. 

        They stopped before a white cardboard box scrawled with blue-painted tags. Shizira dragged it from its shelf with a huff, and then attempted to pick it up. She could barely get it a few inches off the ground.

        "Malice help?" the Egyptian offered, tilting her head.

        "Much appreciated," Shizira forced out between her teeth as her face began to turn a little red. Malice reached down, tightened her fingers around the edge of the box, and then lifted it up as easily as if it were a gallon of milk.

        "Malice help!"

        "Appreciated," Shizira huffed, rubbing her forehead with an arm. She swept the sweat from beneath her eyes and straightened her clothes as she straightened up. Kiria couldn't help but notice how her back cracked a few times doing so.

        "Is it really that heavy?" Kiria asked.

        "I buy it in the smaller box, but I want to make sure you have enough. Hold on, I'll get the smaller one for myself." The same process repeated, except this time Shizira barely managed to pull it to her chest.

        "D-Do you want me to help?" Kiria also offered, taking a step forward.

        "It's heavy," Shizira warned as she passed the box over. Kiria held it lightly in her hands. It didn't weigh a whole lot; in fact, it felt a lot like a pillow weight-wise. Shizira stared numbly at them both and shook her head, simply turning and walking on without comment.

        Shizira tapped several tins on a shelf, as if checking a carton of eggs. She deemed one good enough and placed it in the basket. They moved on to the next few rows, with the potted plants.

        "Hey, Kiria?" the ravenette began as she inspected a small pot of yellow flowers.

        "Hm?" she replied, peering over the edge of the box. She casually shifted it beneath her arm, which had Shizira twitching in shock slightly.

        "Ahm... ah, well, how do you feel about gardening... or plants in general?" Shizira's eyes notably did not leave the box tucked under Kiria's arm.

        "I guess, if we can, I'd do it. Then again, I live in an apartment."

        "That's why they come in tiny form!" Shizira exclaimed, gesturing toward the tiny bundles of yellow flowers. "For all apartment mages who can't afford to run a full-sized garden. I want a full-sized herbal garden someday. That'd be nice."

        "That does sound nice. I like the tiny flowers, they're cute. Can we?"

        "Of course." Shizira lifted up some of the plastic-cased flowers and set them in a gardener's tray, as well as a handful of itty-bitty pots that were probably no bigger around than a cup. She set the flowerpots in the basket, and the tray she handed to Kiria. Kiria shuffled the box in her hands, and then let the tray be placed on top. A couple of cute yellow flower-petals ticked her nose, which made her smile.