Chapter Twenty-Six: Magic!

Kiria and Asuiri arrived home in the late afternoon. Kiria turned the handle and opened the door, being greeted with Shizira sitting on the couch staring boredly at her nails and Malice sobbing in the corner.

"I still think that was a ridiculous punishment," Shizira commented drily.

"She ran off!"

"To my house. What, you think I'm gonna let her just get assaulted or something?"

"Well we both know about those earrings of yours, don't we?" Axel snapped from somewhere in the kitchen. "How'd she even get there, anyway?! She doesn't have a money or a bus-pass!"

"She says she flew," Shi answered dismissively. "And I don't take kindly to you underestimating my will."

"Quit being a cocky asshole, brat," Raviel heard Izira grumble from where she sat next to her host.

"And what are you doing here?" he asked.

"Listening to bratty run-away children cry. It's like Mozart but better. But since you're here I think I'll just leave. Don't wanna start trouble, do we?" Her sneering tone set him off.

"Honestly, Izira, I don't mind your company," he replied. She shot him the most offended look.

"Tch. Asshole," and then she was gone, thin-air.

"That's not how I- and you're gone," Raviel sighed.

"What was that about flying?" Kiria peeped, stepping into the room. "And hello, Shi, I didn't expect you to be here."

"I was dragged along to be interrogated by your sister for housing run-away Malice. And your sister broke my door off its hinges, by the way."

"Axel!"

"What? She can buy a new door, can't she?"

"I'm going to get a discount for being a consistent customer with the door repairman," Shizira grumbled.

"So what was that about flying? And why is Malice in the corner?" Kiria asked, bringing the discussion back around.

Malice sobbed and whined, "Malice good~! Malice good! Malice not bad! Not bad~!"

"You ran off without permission," Axel huffed. "That's bad."

"And I'm saying she came straight to my house," Shizira snipped, sounding slightly offended. "I'm not some stupid threat, Axel."

"But your spirit is!"

"Aren't they all?"

"At least Hamon doesn't try to stab my little sister!"

Shizira rose to her feet, mouth a firm line. She adjusted her jacket collar and turned toward Kiria, Asuiri, and the door. "We aren't supposed to talk about that."

"We aren't supposed to ignore the fact you nearly killed both Asuiri and Kiria!"

"Axel!" Kiria softly yelled (an oxymoron, really.) "We don't talk about that!"

"I'm not standing around here just to be insulted like that," Shizira said. She swallowed, her face hard and hurt. Kiria could see that much. "I'll be leaving then, if I'm such a threat. I see I'm still not trusted."

She brushed right past them, but Kiria reached out and grabbed her arm.

"Shi! Axel didn't mean it, she's just... I'm sorry, but you aren't a threat. You're one of my best friends."