~25. Hope?

⚠️tw: blood, sexual assault, death⚠️

It's been a while since Tom left us alone. Regardless, we didn't change our positions. I'm still laying in Cate's arms and even though my body is aching, I am afraid, that if I loose contact with her I'm gonna die.
Her touch gives me at least the slightest feeling of warmth, down in the cellar.

We three have been talking about how to make the emergency call work, but I don't think we have much of a chance to get out of here. Tom is incredibly smart and I'm scared. Will he kill me? How would he do it? Hit an important artery? Slit my throat?
Fuck, I didn't want to admit how afraid I am, but here I am thinking about how I'll die anyway.

Now every time I hear something creaking or cracking in the distance, I flinch. Earlier or later Tomas will be back and I just don't know what is going to happen by then.

But right now, I'm taking in every bit of Cate's warm touch.

"Here." She whispered and jingled with her necklace. Seconds later, she placed the long golden chain in the middle of my palm.

I turned my head slightly around and frowned a little in confusion.

"Put that in between the doorframe and I will be able to get out." Cate smiled.

Her kindhearted smile brought me a wee bit of hope, however I am afraid she's going to get hurt further. I would never risk her to get hurt again.

Cate seemed to notice my reluctant behavior and spoke:"Do it. Everything will be okay, but we need this call and you can't do it on your own." I nodded, knowing very well, that we actually had just this one chance and even that one, was more than risky.

And then, just as if Tom heard us making plans, the door to the cellar swung open.

My whole body was frozen and shook in fear. A layer of cold sweat formed on my hand palms, whilst I swallow once again and try to push myself out of Cate's warm embrace.
To my bad, I wasn't able to, so the blonde was forced to help me at least into a standing position.

"Get up or I'll come down and that won't be nice." Tomas warned and I released a shaky breath, as I try to push myself forwards to the staircase.

While holding onto Cate, I try to take a few steps, but it was too painful. My knee didn't bend and I quietly cried out every time I took a step.

Thank god, I have Cate. Cause she picked me up as carefully as only possible and carried me up the stairs. For your knowledge, I am not the lightest person, additionally she has this cut on her stomach, which I tried to not touch the whole time.

Gently, I squeezed her arm three times, making her smile weakly. Cate mouthed an 'I love you' back and I planted a kiss onto her soft cheek.

The brunette man rolled his eyes, annoyed at my action.

"Cut it." He breathed out and I, once again, squeezed Cate's shoulder, as if I was saying 'please don't leave me'.

Before I even knew it, the blonde let me down and spoke, in attempt to distract Tomas, giving me some time to put her necklace in between the doorframe and door.

I have no idea how I even ended up with a success, however I made it, with Cate's distraction. Tom simply closed the door and didn't bother that there was no second crack.

This time he didn't grab me by the hair, but the wrist.

The gentle way, I guess...

"Sit." Tomas demanded, almost sounding polite?

"Sure" I mumbled whilst limping myself onto a chair I haven't been sitting on these past days. Which means: no blood. That feels sort of refreshing, almost.