Part 13

A/N 

*Trigger Warning Violence

Kageyama's POV

It was good to see Shoyo smiling once again. Saturday was an off day for him. I was glad we were able to help him though, even if things weren't fully taken care of yet. I'm sure he'd rather be at home than staying with me at my house. There was a part of me, deep down, that selfishly wished for his parents to stay in America so he could live here with me. Well, maybe that part of me wasn't that deep down. I just wanted him by my side. Was that so wrong? If only I could figure out how he felt. I looked over at the orange-haired ball of sunshine as we walked to school Monday morning. He was excited to get to class and take his practice tests. He wanted to shove his scores in that beanpole's face, and I wanted to be there when he did it. He was talking and talking but I couldn't stop thinking about Shoyo and the questions I had for him, which led me to blurting one out.

"Do you like anyone right now?" Shoyo stopped mid-sentence and turned to look at me. He quirked an eyebrow.

"Umm, that was pretty random. Why would you want to know that?"

"I'm just curious. We never talk about that sort of stuff, but we've been friends for a while. I don't even know your type." Shoyo didn't answer right away. He looked away from me and continued walking. "You're not going to answer?" I watched as his lips twitched into a slight frown and then straightened back out like he was trying to hide his annoyance from me.

"Well, what about you? I don't know your type either."

"If I tell you, will you tell me?"

"I guess," He seemed a bit apprehensive. "So do you have someone you like?"

"I do, and I have for a while now."

"Does the person know that you like them?"

"No, I don't think so."

"What are they like?" I had to think about his question. Could I answer that without giving myself away. I didn't feel it was the right time to confess my feelings to him. I thought about it for a moment longer and then answered him.

"They bring a smile to my face without trying. They honestly bring a smile to the faces of everyone around them. Their brightness seems effortless. They're energetic to the point that it's ridiculous and hard to keep up with them, but I never want to fall a step behind them. Just being by their side makes me happy." When I stopped talking, I realized that Shoyo had stopped walking and was simply staring at me in awe. "What's wrong Shoyo?"

"N-nothing," he said and then shook his head but then quietly muttered something else. My eyes went wide when I thought I heard him say, "I just kind of envy that person." I couldn't help but stare at him as he picked up his pace and passed me. What in the world was that supposed to mean?

"It's your turn," I said as I caught up to his stride. He sighed and closed his eyes for a moment.

In a voice softer than he normally uses he said, "there isn't one person that I like right now." After he answered he sped away, ignoring the sound of me calling out his name.

Hinata's POV

I wasn't expecting to have that conversation with Tobio this morning. I was focused on scoring higher than Tsukishima on the upcoming practice tests. He had thrown me for a loop with that question and I certainly wasn't expecting his answer. His words made my heart feel heavy. I had thought there might be a chance that he was into me, but someone who was so bright they made everyone smile, that just wasn't me, even if my nickname was sunshine. It just didn't fit. It couldn't. I held so much darkness inside there was no way I could possibly make other people happy; I couldn't even make myself happy.